Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My son's father gives me money every week but is not enough for rent!!!?

My ex boyfriend father of my 13 months old baby and also father of my baby that is coming, (4 months pregnant) help me out every week by giving me 50 dollars its not a lot . and i think i need some type of help im thinking about applying for welfare benefits, but i was wondering since hes helping me it is necesary to file for child support because i think that what he is giving me is more then what he is going to have to give me if i file for child support im not currently working and i wont be able to till i have my baby.. so my question is. it is necesary to file for child support if i apply for welfare benefits even if hes already giving money weekly?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 10:47 PM on Dec. 9, 2009 in Relationships

Answers (6)
  • Doesn't matter. In order for you to get welfare, you have to sign a form saying that you allow them to go after him for child support.


    Answer by legalmommy101 at 10:51 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

  • google a child support calculator for your state to see how much he'd have to pay you. BTW, You can accept what he gives you if it's more and still receive additional benefits for the kids. By accepting help through welfare he can pay through the court to make sure he pays on time and it will increase when the second child is born.

    Answer by admckenzie at 10:57 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

  • What she ^^^ said.
    And chances are you'll get more through real child support then what he's giving you now. We live in cali but DH's ex is supposed to pay 251 a month and that was based off of a min wage paying job. (which is 8.25 in cali i think).

    Answer by outstandingLove at 10:57 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

  • Sounds like you should be grateful for what you are getting from him. I would ask for a bit more once baby #2 gets here to avoid the court scene. You are going to wait for a very long time for child support to be settled if you are already getting it from him.

    Also, that money he is giving you is for the care of the children... diapers, food, medical needs... not for rent necessarily. It would pay to find a job, possibly in a day care so you would be able to take them with you.

    Just a suggestion :)

    Answer by RutterMama at 11:20 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

  • no offence but if you are 4 months preggo you are still able to get a job. So you probably wouldnt win a case in court. I worked up until a week before i had my son. Stop being selfish and get a job.

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:32 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

  • You should definitely get court ordered child support in case he decides he don't want to pay any more!! Doesn't matter if you have a job or not, he is still partly responsible for the kids!!!


    Answer by Morgain at 1:53 AM on Dec. 10, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.