this is embarrassing but help!

So i'm 99% sure I have a yeast infection. I was going to get the at home test tomorrow but wanted to know if anyone knew if they really worked. The embarrassing part is the last time I had a yeast infection I really didn't know what it was. The reason I didn't know is because my mother never told me about "girl' things. I didn't know what my period was or what a tampon was, we never had "the talk". I hungout with guys and my sister is 13 years older then me and moved out before I was old enough to have gurl talks.
So can I can go and get the monistat or should I call my doctor and see what they say? Sorry like I said, my mother NEVER told me these things and when my DD is old enough I will talk to her about it so she's not as clueless as me!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:15 PM on Dec. 9, 2009 in Health

• I feel you on having a mother who didn't tell you anything, I just sort of figured it all out here and there and am still learning.
    Jeda624

Answer by Jeda624 at 11:18 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• Home test? For a yeast infection? I didn't know that had one.
    I can tell you that Monistat (and even the generic equivalent) both work well.
    Anonymous

• You can get diflucan for a yeast drug (oral) and the doc would probably call it in. Or the over the counter stuff but it's probably the same price and Diflucan is faster. If it's really bad, you'll know, it'll burn and itch and you'll have discharge.
    Anonymous

• i would get a test but there are also ways to tell , itching down there is one MAJOR way to tell, and another is a foul smeeling discharge. instead of a test i'd go to the DR. your OB can tell more accurate then the home tests can .
    Anonymous

• ok that was bad LOL i ment smelling not smeeling LMAO. wow sorry about that.
    Anonymous

• the problem with going to my doc is I have to go to my primary care doc for them to put in a request to my ins for me to see my OBGYN and that can take 2 or more week. I'm itching and have a discharge but no bad smell. At first I thought the itching was from the pool at the Y, they have been using WAY to much cholrine and my whole body itches when they do that. but now I don't know
    Anonymous

• Try the OTC stuff while you wait. It can't hurt.
    sgtdemanda

Answer by sgtdemanda at 11:52 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• With the discharge and you saying you use a pool, I'm guessing it is a yeast infection. Go get some Monistat and follow the directions (use it right before bed because if you are up and about the medicine will come back out). If it's yeast, the infection will clear up. If it gets to burning or feeling more irritated then it's probably bacterial vaginosis (unlikely though since there's no bad odor) and you'd have to see your dr. Even if it isn't yeast, Monistat will not hurt anything so give it a try.

Sitting in a wet swim suit can cause a yeast infection. White vinegar kills yeast. When you wash your swim suit and panties put 1 cup of white vinegar in the rinse cycle in order to kill the yeast.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 11:54 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• Go to the doctor - there are other things that can seem like a yeast infection but need to be treated differently. Don't self-diagnose and don't treat without knowing for sure.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:05 AM on Dec. 10, 2009

• wow! thanks ThrivingMom. I go in the pool at the y twice a week for my DD swim class. Sometimes I'll put her in the child watch so I can swim by myself or go in the hot tub. I never just sit in my swimsuit. but I never knew about the viegar!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:09 AM on Dec. 10, 2009