High fever (103-105) and loose poops

I was worried about my 15 month old today because he went to sleep at 830 lastnight with a fever of 102 and didn't get up until 130 this afternoon. When he got up his temp was 104.6 and I called the doctor. After I gave him motrin his temp went down to 102. After we got home from the doctor he started having diarrhea (sp?)... I don't know if I should call again or not. Earlier a this appointment the doctor said just make sure he is drinking and bring him back friday if he still has that high fever. At that point I didn't know about the runny poop so I didn't say anything about it. Last time I checked his temp was 103 and I gave him some motrin and he just went to bed. Should I call the doctor again and tell them right now or wait until tomorrow?
She also said that it's very likely that his fever will break and about an hour after that he will break out in a rash,what is that called? It sounded something like roseacea(sp?)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:16 PM on Dec. 9, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Rosiola. Wake him to keep him hydrated and know the signs of dehydration; skin the stays pinched when you pinch it, squeezing fingernails and the pink doesn't turn back fast and it stays white. No real need to call the doc if you keep him hydrated and the fever in check. It'll be okay.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 11:18 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• I agree with knowing the signs of dehydration. If you have to, give him liquid in a dropper a drop at a time. If he is still nursing, let him do that as much as he wants.

I recommend "How to Raise a Healthy Child in Spite of Your Dr." it has a lot on the role of fever. There is a site called KidsHealth.org that has good descriptions of diseases. If he breaks out in a rash, take note of what body part it starts on, and where it goes next (like chest to extremities, or hairline to chest to extremities); the progression will help you identify the illness. There are several viral illnesses with a fever and a rash.
    happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 12:00 AM on Dec. 10, 2009

• Sounds kind of like when my dd had rotovirus. It's diagnosed only through a poop sample, and is very contagious - but is worse the younger or older a person is. I'd call and at least mention it. I'd be a little worried.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:04 AM on Dec. 10, 2009

• The big concern with the Rotavirus is dehydration; in extreme cases one might have to go to a hospital for an IV, but that normally isn't necessary. A call wouldn't hurt though.
    happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 12:08 AM on Dec. 10, 2009