Preschool cost ?

Hi - I'm a first time mom and have a daughter turning 4 in Feb. Wondering about suggestions for Preschool. What's the difference in Preschool and Montessori? Is it the same? What is the cost like? And does anyone have thoughts about public Preschools at elementary schools? What do you guys think? Thanks!

PS.. I'm asking this in the category of 5-8 yr olds because I would love to hear from Moms with experience on this. What were your experiences with Preschool and what would you advise?? Thanks so much!

EmmasMom77

Asked by EmmasMom77 at 11:16 PM on Dec. 9, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• We put both our kids in the preschool attached to our community center but first tried a smaller one. Didn't like it so moved to the community center one. It was 5 days a week 9-noon and was 350 a month. The little one was the same cost but only 2.5 hours. My kids were Kindergarten ready after we put them in the other one. They really vary. I can speak to Montessori because we simply didn't want to pay for it in our area.
    Anonymous

• We have a small Christian school in our town, the preschool really isn't affiliated with the school but rents a room in the building, and is also Christian-based. We knew our kids would be going to the gradeschool, so it was an easy decision for us. Current tuition is $50/month for 3 year olds, who attend 2 days a week, 2.5 hours a day, and $80/week for 4-5 year olds, who attend 3 days a week, 2 days for 2.5 hours and one full day. It really helped my first two kids be more ready for Kindergarten, and it's helping socialize my 3rd child, as well as some education stuff she just wasn't catching on to at home. I'd never heard of montessori before starting on cafemom, so I can't help you out there, other than reading that it's rediculously priced and enough other stuff to know I'd never send my kids to one.
    Anonymous

• my 3 yo attends one at our community center she goes 3 days a week from 8:30 to 11 and I pay 80 a month. I looked into several others that ran from 110 a month for the same hours to a 6 hour program that would cost me over 400 a month. Some were more school prep like a Montessori one to the one that touched on school work but was more targeted towards social interaction. What are you looking for in a preschool? That would be a help in locating and pricing a program.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 8:01 AM on Dec. 10, 2009

• I wanted a preschool that would teach my child and prepare her for Kindergarten. I didn't want to just send her to a playgroup, I wanted her to prepare for class room type situations. I stay at home with my kids and a couple of placed were going to automatically put her in with the 3 year olds because they didn't think she would be able to handle being with her own age group. My daughter is smart and I knew that would not be a match for her and chose another place. They ranged from $65-$150/month. We ended up sending her to a church preschool, for $75/month, 12pm-2:30 Tuesday, Wed, Friday. It was set up like a school class room, they did arts/crafts, learned to write letters, went on field trips, did programs and really prepared her for Kindergarten. I hope you find one that suits your needs!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 10:03 AM on Dec. 10, 2009

• Montessori is a program that is child centered and child lead. The kids work on their own pace with specific activities, materials, etc. It is more than a regular preschool. I teach in a Catholic preschool and we charge $52 a week for 4 days (8:30-11:30). It includes computers, gym and music. Public school early childhood programs are just as good as a private preschool.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 2:27 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• I have always heard Montessori schools are "free thinking" the children roam freely from diffrent activity centers and play areas. For a free spirited type of parenting that maybe good, but my crazy lil man NEEDED structure. We used a local baptist church preschool days a week 8-12 it was $130 a month, we had already used a moms day out program the year before that was 2 days a week 9-2. $90
    My lil man was very preparred for kindergarten. We had an interview process at a well known Catholic school and he Ace'd the entrance exam.
    So in your search I recommend finding a fit for you and your family. things to consider location (you are going to drive it 2 a day for a while), money, student/teacher ratio, school rules, do a few drop in un expected visits, contracts (in case you want to with draw early.)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:09 AM on Dec. 12, 2009

• my daughter has gone to public pre-school in 2 different schools/towns. they are pretty good, i was hoping to get her into our church private school for Kindergarten but we won't be able to do that as we are moving out of state. i know people who send their kids to Montessori schools and love it, it's more like homeschooling. just make sure whatever route you go that you are involved in her schooling and teach her things on your own.
    mr2snafu

Answer by mr2snafu at 9:43 PM on Dec. 12, 2009