Do I have to fast for my gluco test?

going in for my second gluco test tomorrow and wasnt sure if i should fast and how many hours that would be if i did. im 26-27 weeks prego.

Bugsmommy1908

Asked by Bugsmommy1908 at 11:25 PM on Dec. 9, 2009 in Pregnancy

• i've only gone in for an initial test and I didn't havew to fast. Just don't chow down on a box of cookies before you go in. Call a dr (n call) to double check and put your mind at ease. I'm due March 9- hit me up if you want to chat preganncies:)
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 11:28 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• I did, just to make sure I didn't get a false positive and then have to do the 3 hour. You don't need to do a 12 hour fast, but I wouldn't eat breakfast, just do the test early, and take something to eat for as soon as you are done!!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 2:06 AM on Dec. 10, 2009

• I did water only for 12 hours
    rjacob2008

Answer by rjacob2008 at 7:49 AM on Dec. 10, 2009

• I recall needing to not eat (or sugar drinks) for two hours before. With my first, I had to do the three hour and did have gestational diabetes then had to do extra testing with my other two but never had it with them. I would call and ask what they want you to do because you do not want to try to trick the test. If you have it you want to know so that not only you don't have a twelve pound baby but none of the other complications happen either. I didn't have any. Everything was smooth sailing.
    heatheryn

Answer by heatheryn at 8:12 AM on Dec. 10, 2009

• Just don't eat any sugar. Dry toast (or w/ natural peanut butter) and an egg should be fine for breakfast. That's what I always eat.
    fluud7

Answer by fluud7 at 8:20 AM on Dec. 10, 2009

• Yes!!!!

LyTe684

Answer by LyTe684 at 8:34 AM on Dec. 10, 2009

• YES!! Absolutly...Thats a MUST!
    Just_Bethy

Answer by Just_Bethy at 8:38 AM on Dec. 10, 2009

• I was told you can have clear fluids, i wouldnt want to not fast, because then you can get higher levels as though you were fasting
    Love2HateMe

Answer by Love2HateMe at 8:57 AM on Dec. 10, 2009

• Yes! No food or drinks, other than plain, unflavored water, 2 hours before you drink that glucose.
    Amy75972

Answer by Amy75972 at 9:00 AM on Dec. 10, 2009

• When I had mine done I was told nothing after 9pm the night before I had a very early appt next morning I think like 730. Wasn't even aloud water before or during test. It all really depends on the place that you are having the testing done at. I would call and confirm with them what you can and can not do.
    Mom2Joseph2007

Answer by Mom2Joseph2007 at 9:12 AM on Dec. 10, 2009