When you had your Tubes Tied, how did you know that was the right choice for you?

As opposed to your SO getting a vasectamy. Was your Tubal something that you were required to do, do to health problems? Was it a free choice you made between you and your SO? (Or alone) How did you know that it was the right choice for you?

If you could, please share your story about the procedure and recovery. Hubbs and I know we're done with having children, but I want to know if a tubal is the right way to go. As opposed to other options.

JazzlikeMraz

Asked by JazzlikeMraz at 11:26 PM on Dec. 9, 2009 in Health

• Well, I was diagnosed with a heart problem after my 4th baby was born, and advised not to have any more. We were trying to avoid pregnancy, and still got pregnant. My insurance at the time was willing to cover 100% of it if I had a tubal while still in the hospital, but we would have had to pay 100% for hubby to get snipped. I knew my health couldn't take another pregnancy, and something "permanent" had to be done, so I had it done - hubby was more than willing, but when it came down to the money side of it, we just couldn't fork out the extra money for him to get done. It was definitely all my choice, and I'm glad I made that choice. They went in through a 1 inch incision in my belly button, and since I'd just given birth, my recovery wasn't an issue - I was recovering anyway, lol! Definitely the way to go for us. It's been almost 3 years and I don't regret it.
    Anonymous

• I had mine done about 6 months after our post vasectomy "surprise" baby. Hubs had already done his part (twice actually, the Dr screwed up the first time - and the second as well apparently), and we knew we were really done having kids. My procedure was a little bit more complicated just because when they tried to do it laprascopically there was a lot of scarring and adhesions from my c/s so they had to open me up along the c/s scar. I still only spent one night in hospital and in about a week I was pretty much back to normal.

I did have some issues later with heavy periods which some people attribute to the tubal, but I used to have heavy periods as a teen and then this was the first time since I was 19 that I wasn't on bc, pregnant, bf'ing, and having regular periods, so I think it was that as much as the tubal. It's been 3 yrs for me too and it was the right one for me.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 12:48 AM on Dec. 10, 2009

• I actually have a procedure done called "essure". It's done in the OB's office, where they insert a coil in to each tube and in 3 months time it scars over and blocks the tube. Less invasive then having a tubal. It worked out great for me!! ask your Doc about it!! Here is their website: http://www.essure.com

Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 2:02 AM on Dec. 10, 2009

• I just knew I couldn't handle another kid, mentally or physically. So I opted for Essure. Tubal ligations and vasectomies can self reverse and you would never know. That scared me. So I went with Essure since you get confirmation that it worked 3 months later. You can read about my experience in my journal. I linked you to the one that talks about the procedure itself. It is done in office and you are not put under for it in most cases.

purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 8:25 AM on Dec. 10, 2009

• I had my tubes tied during my 3rd c-section, I had health issues with each baby and we decided that we were done. It was kinda hard for me at first emotionally but I am fine with it now and its been 6 months.
    BusyBeesmom

Answer by BusyBeesmom at 9:08 AM on Dec. 10, 2009

• Sorry - I forgot to answer some of your questions: I didn't have any health problems, but I have never had any type of surgery or anesthesia other then my Epi- so I was scared to death of a Tubal. And I just couldn't make my hubby go thru the getting snipped process - I just didn't want to make him get cut. So when my midwife suggested the Essure procedure it just felt right.

The procedure it self went wall, I got a bit nauseous b/c I have never taken the pain meds + the valium they give you before. I  had some cramping right when they inserted the coils, but I went home and took a 3 hour nap, woke up feeling like it never happened. I was back to normal that night, just had a little bleeding like a light period for a few days. Good luck no matter what you choose!!

Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 11:38 AM on Dec. 10, 2009

• I just had my fifth baby in october (a fourth son) i knew i was threw when we dicided for one more, but we talked it threw anyway, it almost christmas and iam so glade i done it. my surgery story wouldnt help you any though it was an emergancy c-sec with some complications with recovery
    witchymoma

Answer by witchymoma at 12:40 AM on Dec. 11, 2009