What in the world just happened?

My son just turned 13 and it seems like he changed into a totally different kid overnite.He's gotten rude and inconsiderate.He's mean to his little brother and everything I say gets the "look".You must know what I'm talking about right?The rolling of the eyes with that stupid smirk on his face like he's saying in his head "whatever".How in the world do I get thru to him when he acts like this all the time now?Does anyone out there have any ideas?

barndogsgrl

Asked by barndogsgrl at 11:48 PM on Dec. 9, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• Just beat him .. I kid.I kid. Honestly though, just be consistant about your punishments and parenting. Don't let him get off with "The look" or a smartass comment. Let him know that you're still the parent and he's going to respect that. All the best to you. I'll know what you're going through in about 12 years.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:51 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• Pick your battles Mama. Worry about him being smart mouthed rather than the "Look". If you fight him over a look, then you are in for nothing but fights. Make sure to give him some space but not so much that he is no longer participating with the family. I have raised two teens already so again, pick your battles. Don't make everything a fight. Plus having teens you have to have a sense of humor. One day he will look back and see that he was not really being cool.
    Anonymous

• Is he still hanging out with the same old friends as when he was 11 and 12?
    Have his grades changed too?
    I would look into these types of things.
    Sherrae

Answer by Sherrae at 11:59 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• No.we moved recently to a different town.And yes his grades have changed considerably!He's failing 3 out of 6 classes and he's on the verge of failing another.I know its been hard on him moving but I really believe his failing is out of shear I don't give a damn attitude.Me and his dad have tried everything to get him to change his outlook,that things aren't as bad as he thinks and that we are truly on his side not just being hardasses about things.But we can't seem to make any leeway with him at all!We are truly exasperated at this point and really don't know what to do!
    barndogsgrl

Answer by barndogsgrl at 12:45 AM on Dec. 10, 2009

• Some of this is normal teen stuff. I suggest sitting down with him, when you are both calm, and having a discussion where you really listen to his answers: why does he think that his grades have dropped? What does he plan to be doing in five years? How does education fit into that plan? What is is favorite class? Who is his favorite teacher? His answers will help guide you.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:18 AM on Dec. 10, 2009

• Mom, this too shall pass, just don't tolerate disrespect to you or his father, the rest will resolve itself as he finds himself.

Answer by older at 7:29 AM on Dec. 10, 2009

• Yea, my son did the same thing. He turned 13 and just left the son that I knew in the dirt. He is 15 now, and much better. He will "grow" out of his attitude. He just turned into a teenager. Be patient, laugh a lot and things will improve.

I agree with the answer below, pick your fights! Like sex, drugs, and bad grades. If you don't like his friends, don't let him see them.
    banderasgrl

Answer by banderasgrl at 10:42 AM on Dec. 10, 2009

• Hang in there momma, my son also did the same thing. This lasted about a year and a half. Choose your battles and be consistent. I know all the advise in the world will not help what you are going thru right now. This is very common in teen boys going thru puberty. They are just testing their boundaries. My son is 16 now and much much better. Hang in there.
    dillonsma

Answer by dillonsma at 4:53 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• Oh you didn't get the memo: When a kid turns 13 years old parents loose all brains we had, we become total idiots who don't know anything! Also we start to see things like eye rolls and body language that looks like they are disgusted with any words that come from our mouths, but 'it never happened". Oh yeah and we start to hear things that sound like muttering coming from the teens, but they "didn't say anything". As others have said this too shall pass, just when you think one of you is not going to make it to his 18th birthday alive you start to see a great young man emerging.
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 6:54 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• yup on number three now and it is a repeat.Like the others said pick your battles and don't worry about the look.I do remind mine anytime they behave well how nice it is .When my daughter went through this she would roll her eyes all the time.Finally I asked her to at least wait till she was walking away to roll them.Then one day she rolled them at me when I had a good friend over and we couldn't stop laughing .She never rolled them to my face again.The older two are doing great it does pass.

drfink

Answer by drfink at 3:03 AM on Dec. 11, 2009