hypothyroid - Hashimoto Disease

I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's when I was 7, I am now 28; drs. thought I would outgrow it by the time I was 21, but I didn't. Yesterday, I had routine blood work done and my levels came back the highest the dr had seen ( not sure if on me or anyone ). He also scheduled an u/s, because he found another nodule on the thyroid, he found one about 4 yrs ago and it turned out to be nothing. He made an appt for me to see an endocrinologist in Feb.

Has anyone had anything like this? I've been researching thyroid cancers, nodules, everything I can find. Has anyone had a thyroidectomy and gone on to have children- I would like to be pregnant one last time ( hoping for a girl ), but not in the near future?
Thanks!

izyandchrismomi

Asked by izyandchrismomi at 11:54 PM on Dec. 9, 2009 in Health

• I haven't any experience with Hashimoto Disease however I wanted to let you know that statistically your chances of concieving a girl after having consecutive boys are lowered. With each child of the same sex born back to back it decreases the likelihood that you'll concieve a girl. Just something to think about.... They do have that weird sperm spinning procedure that seperates the chromosomes x from y that you could try if you're really wanting a baby girl. The best bet is to adopt though.
    (Although, I could be wrong and you might get a statistical annomoly which would be fantastic)
    Good luck with your endocrinologist appt, and make sure you ask all of your questions! Write them down if you have to and hand him the paper!!
    momofkearra

Answer by momofkearra at 12:31 AM on Dec. 10, 2009

• I figured as much as far as our ever having a girl naturally, wouldn't ever do the gender selection thing. We have talked about adopting a girl, but I love being pregnant so much that I wouldn't really mind another boy, I mean after you have 3 in a row what's a 4th? I would love to adopt a baby girl of mixed races, I'm adopted myself, although I was 8 when I was adopted.
    I was just wondering if there was decreased fertility after having a thyroidectomy? I mean you're thyroid helps to regulate everything hormonal, so I was just curious to know what we were in for, should we try for another baby a few years from now.
    izyandchrismomi

Answer by izyandchrismomi at 12:56 AM on Dec. 10, 2009

• I have low thyroid and have for years, I have 5 children. It did not seem to stop me chances of getting pregnant. Good luck getting your baby girl. Worst thing for me and low thyroid is always being cold. Ugh!! Hate it!!
    racefan88

Answer by racefan88 at 1:28 AM on Dec. 10, 2009

• Nor did it stop me from easily getting pregnant, but I do think it was responsible for the first m/c (2nd m/c was a blighted ovum). I cannot lose weight, if I eat like a rabbit and exercise like a Olympic athlete ( ok, so I'm exaggerating, but those like me understand ).
    izyandchrismomi

Answer by izyandchrismomi at 11:30 AM on Dec. 10, 2009