3.5 year old behavior questions

I have a few questions about my son. Is this normal behavior? He:
-has no attention span, other than watching TV. He cant even stay focused long enough to spell his name (Logan).
-If he dont have our full attention at all time he'll throw a tantrum.
-is constantly climbing on the furniture & jump on or off of it. No matter the consaquence. He'll get into trouble for it & do it again a few mins later.
-goes non stop from the time he wakes up till he goes to bed
-used to love the wubzy theme song & dance to it. Now when it comes on he covers his ears, runs screaming and crying
-is putting stuff in his mouth, we never had problems with him doing that until recently
-if he gets frustrated at us he will come up and put his mouth on us but not bite, but will bite himself
-has been potty trained for a year. Latly he wont go to the bathroom w/o us telling him. he'll come up to us & dance around till we tell him to go.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:56 PM on Dec. 9, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Continued:
    Logan was born 3 months premature. I am not sure if that will have anything to do with it or not. He is in pre school and his teacher sent home a note last week about his paying attention and staying on task. I am a first time mom and not sure iff all this is normal. Thank you for any insight you may have.
    Anonymous

• Some of this sounds familiar to me, my daughter is 6 and our son just turned 3. He's been potty trained for a while and recently started pissing on the floor and in his pants! I don't know why, but I finally had it and told him if he does it he'll get a spanken, just one swat to his butt, and then he has to clean it up himself too... this has been working!!!!
    Sometimes kids go through weird spells where they love something and then hate it profusely later, try a different show for awhile and see if he reacts similarly down the road.
    Most kids his age don't have too much of an attention span. However, try not responding to his tantrums, just move him to another room and let him flip out. (He'll be fine) Tell him not to bite himself, it's okay to be angry, but it is not okay to hurt himself. If he's angry he can hit his pillow or something.... To get his attention turn off all other distractions if you can... No t.v. or radio
    momofkearra

Answer by momofkearra at 12:02 AM on Dec. 10, 2009

• Also, if you are concerned about the behavior talk to your pediatrician about it and make them listen... They are often quick to ignore parents during visits. Look up PDD/NOS on youtube and also Asperger's Syndrome. It's possible that he's exhibiting signs of these types of Autism spectrum disorders, however, it really depends on the amount of work that you are doing with him, whether you've truely been consistent for a good amount of time (at least 6 months) with discipline, etc...
    Being a mom is super tough and always being the police can be hard! I've recently decided enough BS though so good luck to you! Hope everything works out!
    momofkearra

Answer by momofkearra at 12:05 AM on Dec. 10, 2009

• Given that your child was a preemie and developmental issues can occur at different times, I'd check it with your pediatrician. Being active all day long isn't unusual (my 2 1/2 is the same way but even TV won't hold his attention long). However, as I look at your list, as a parent, I'd be concerned too. Everyone seems to be quick to assume all problems these days are a form of autism but there are other possibilities out there as well IF there even if a problem.. (And I say that as an aunt of a child with autism.) good luck!
    Anonymous

• Thanks for the replies everyone. Sorry I havnt gotten back on here sooner. My son was sick so I was a busy moma. I am not sure If i should be worried or not. I am trying really hard not to over react. I will mention this all to his PED on our next visit. If things arent improving. I want to give it a little more time to hopefully get better.

Thank You all again
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:20 AM on Dec. 13, 2009