Is my 3 weeks old baby using me as a pacifire??? she always wants my breast

my Breast are full and they leak when she latches on, so she is getting enough...or so i think... but she never detatches, ive found myself lasting 30 mins or even an hour with her on my breast so i always have to take her off becuase she would stay forever, but after like 10 minutes she starts opening her mouth and searching for my breast i give it to her and she sucks like she never ate before, then i feed her for 20 mins and take her off, like 30 mins later she does the same and cries so i give her formula and she drinks 3 1/2 oz, she sometimes throws it up for being so full idk why she is eating so much and she already went through her growth spurt so it cant be that, SHE IS 3 WEEKS OLD

Zashira

Asked by Zashira at 12:19 AM on Dec. 10, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• There's not just one growth spurt... they can happen at any time. You might just have a sucker though... do you have a sling? This will help you.

It's normal for them to be latched most of the day at 3 weeks. It will pass. Throw out the formula and just keep nursing... you need to rest anyway. Get a sling or wrap. Sometimes they just want to be close and nursing is the best way to ensure that from their POV. It's a new world and she gets comfort from it. Did I tell you to get a sling yet? Oh yea, I did... best money you will spend, I promise.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 12:27 AM on Dec. 10, 2009

• yeah just say no to formula if you have concerns you should really talk to her doctor, my daughter did the same thing its not a bad thing not at all , shes a healthy fat baby witch every one LOVES to see .. trust me when you see a big healthy baby all the others seem so skinny and unhealthy ..my daughter is now 4 mos and 19 pounds lol shes HUGE she was born at 9 1/2 pounds so she started out big but really its just a little baby thing it will pass but she needs your milk its comforting & nourishing i used to feed her so much my husband used to says "boobs for every one but me" lol
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:09 AM on Dec. 10, 2009

• ok so i had the same issue...my baby always cried for the breast and once she got it all she did was suck like it was a pacifier...im not sure how you feel about using pacifiers but you should really consider it cuz your going to go nuts if you dont...the baby isnt hungry she/he just has a sucking drive...and if you continue giving her/him your breast its really gonna be hard for you to wing the baby off...good luck
    MamaD620

Answer by MamaD620 at 1:14 AM on Dec. 10, 2009

• Moms are never pacifiers...Pacifiers are Mom Replacement Devices.

What baby is doing is PERFECT, Do you have a sling? If not, GET ONE. Pop baby in...she can go to town.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:39 AM on Dec. 10, 2009

• Babies have a natural sucking reflux. Sucking calms and relaxes babies, which is why I don't agree with women who don't offer pacifiers. If you're not going to give the baby a pacifier I think you should let her latch on whenever she wants for however long she needs to. I personally would give her a pacifier.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:22 AM on Dec. 10, 2009

• She's sucking out of comfort not hunger, more than likely. I would get some pacifiers, but it's whatever you feel comfortable in doing since she's your baby
    heartfrommyson

Answer by heartfrommyson at 2:26 AM on Dec. 10, 2009

• This is perfectly normal!

Be sure to switch sides every 15 minutes.

Pacifiers are a tough call; we really only used them the first winter, when she was bundled up and couldn't get her hand in her mouth.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:12 AM on Dec. 10, 2009

• If you're not going to give the baby a pacifier I think you should let her latch on whenever she wants for however long she needs to.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would agree, and I do let my little one latch whenever her heart desires....
    OP, you are doing great, though throw out the formula. She is 3 weeks old, she just needs you....
    angelmama081007

Answer by angelmama081007 at 6:15 AM on Dec. 10, 2009

• I now have my second child who loves to suck. My firstborn and 4th LOVE the pacifier. My other two had no interest in it. If they are still hungry they will not take the pacifier. As far as a growth spurt-it is possible. My firstborn had growth spurts well beyond normal. At 6 months he was very long and fit in 12 month clothing. At 3 weeks he was starting to outgrow much and was moving into 3 month sizes! A sling is also a great suggestion!!!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 6:58 AM on Dec. 10, 2009

• Growth spurts occur at about 7-10 days old, 3 weeks, 6 weeks, 9 weeks, 3 months, 6 months, 9 months...(there are more but after that are spaced out farther).

She's normal. She's A. trying to build up your supply by sucking (you make milk when your brain is signaled to make more) B. She is tanking up on calories

You will notice that after the vigorous feeds she'll start sleeping long stretched and cluster feeding when awake. We grow in our sleep so one morning you'll go to put on that favorite outfit and find she's outgrown it ...literally...overnight.

Do NOT switch breasts every 15 minutes as suggested. That can affect your supply AND not give the baby a chance to get the fatty rich hindmilk. Let baby stay feeding long on one side, if after you notice she's slowed down a feed and the breast is soft THEN see if she'll take side 2.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 9:13 AM on Dec. 10, 2009