Did things people say make you just feel plain fat and nasty?

Im 9 months pregnant. I'll be 38 weeks on saturday! Everyone keeps saying "oh you don't even look pregnant!" or "Oh you must only be a few months along"... Was I that fat before that these people can't tell? My family can tell. My Uncle I havent seen for like 6 years came down for Thanksgiving and was like "wow! You have three babies in there or what?!?!" I can tell! I feel and look huge which is to be expected but for people not to be able to tell just makes me feel fat! Did this happen to you?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:45 AM on Dec. 10, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Lol, hun...tone down the hormones! They probably said that to make you feel better about yourself, not worse. Women in their 9th month or notorious for feeling huge. That was their way of saying you look great. Don't read too deep into it, because it was most definitely not meant to hurt you.
    Danielle720

Answer by Danielle720 at 12:57 AM on Dec. 10, 2009

• We're SO sensitive when we're pregnant, and not feeling gorgeous! I have always thought pregnant women were so beautiful, but when I was pregnant, I felt anything but. When I was 8 months along, I remember going to Target and picking up some stuff, among them, several yogurts (my hubby eats it by the truckload), and the dumbass cashier was like, "I eat yogurt to lose belly fat, is that why you eat it?" "Um, no, I'm 8 months pregnant. But thanks." Be-otch.
    People have NO idea how things come across sometimes, especially to a pregnant mommy, and for many, unless they've been there (or even some who HAVE), they never get it. Try not to take it personally, and just chalk it up to their ignorance.
    In the meantime, just think about the magical process that's happening in that beautiful, swelling belly of yours! =)
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 1:09 AM on Dec. 10, 2009

• I was in french immersion classes when I became pregnant - I am normally a very slim girl, but by 6 months along, I had gained about 15 pounds and the guy behind me (who I thought was nice and had become friendly with) started making truck backing up noises every time I moved. It devastated me - there was a very attractive, young lady sitting across the aisle from me who, one day, piped up "Look! She's growing another person in there - what's your excuse?". That shut him up pretty quick and made me feel a whole lot better. I think anyone who makes negative comments to pregnant women are ignoramuses and boors. What your body is doing right now is miraculous. Hold your head high.
    LisaLulu

Answer by LisaLulu at 8:22 AM on Dec. 10, 2009

• if you think that makes you feel bad...people were asking me how far along i was 4 months after i had my son!!! I would say "oh about 13 months now" i still had a pudge from my csection and was swollen...(i still have the pudge 5 yrs later) Some people can just be so rude..i think it was rude of them to say you dont even look preg..but alot of people get excited over babies and cant help but to make comments
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 8:23 AM on Dec. 10, 2009

• Oh yeah... well I am 6 weeks now and I had someone tell my Monday that I was already showing.. lol umm HELLO .. I told her.. must be the pants.. lmao because I am to early for that.. well that made me feel fat at that moment.. I have a gut anyway, I am a little overweight but not hugely, basically because I didn't lose all the 80lbs from my first pregnancy :( I only lost like 40 to 50....so anyway my point is I would rather them say that then say I was huge.. lol
    randilinn

Answer by randilinn at 8:27 AM on Dec. 10, 2009

• LOL it sounds like your hormones are twisting what everyone says. MOst people would take that as a compliment girl!!!
    katzmeow726

Answer by katzmeow726 at 8:48 AM on Dec. 10, 2009

• ugh, I hated the last trimester. everyone would just out and tell me i was huge!!! I thought i was fat cause i was only 36 weeks along. but when i had him early he came out 9 pounds 6 ounces!!! they were being honest, and they weren't talking about fat. maybe you really look small for how far along you are (though i doubt you look really early on)
    Hali_Taylor

Answer by Hali_Taylor at 8:48 AM on Dec. 10, 2009

• I meant what the others said, not your uncle lol. But I don't think he meant it as an insult.
    katzmeow726

Answer by katzmeow726 at 8:50 AM on Dec. 10, 2009

• I don't think there is a right thing to say to a pregnant woman. I think everything anyone said to me pissed me off when I was pregnant. I started showing at like 3 months. I got soooo huge. People would say "Are you sure there's only one in there?" or "It looks like a giant beachball!" or my personal favorite was a lady I worked with just came around the corner and said simply "WHOA!" I remember getting pissed when people said I looked good, I was like "Oh yeah, right, thanks. I really believe that!" I think the best thing to do is to just not comment on a pregnant woman's body. I don't think it matters what people say, it's not going to come out right or be received well!

I try to remember all of the annoying things people said to me when I was pregnant so that I can try not to repeat them to other pregnant women.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 9:12 AM on Dec. 10, 2009

• People are just trying to be nice, it is very stupid of them to say such things, obviously, we're HUGE when we're 9 monthes. They're just trying to make you NOT feel huge, which in a way is just kind of stupid. By saying you're not huge, they're saying you ARE huge. It's like telling an old person that they look really young, some old people hate it because they know you are full of crap...lol!

Hang in there & tell them "no, don't lie....i am HUGE!"
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 9:19 AM on Dec. 10, 2009