What do you think about piercing her ears?

ok so i have a 2 month old baby girl and i wanna get her ears pierced but im kinda worried about infection and also my husband doent think i should till she is one..the question is should i get her ears pierced or wait and if i should what are the risks

MamaD620

Asked by MamaD620 at 1:09 AM on Dec. 10, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I might be wrong, but it drives me nuts when I see babies with pierced ears. It's so adorable, I agree, but think about how much your kids sleeps....and that is pushing into her head...Again. I might be wrong, but my friends kid always had dents where the back of her earrings were. Just didn't look fun. I personally would wait until she is old enough to make the decision herself. Maybe she won't even want them pierced, but if she does, then thta can be fun too picking out the first earrings and all that.
    Pumelo

Answer by Pumelo at 1:17 AM on Dec. 10, 2009

• well all places have their rules like has to be a certain age and has to be up to date on her shots (not sayin ur baby isnt) and stuff like that but i would talk to ur husband and see if u guys can agree on a age and stuff like that and with infections as long as u clean the earings and stuff u should be fine just next time ur at somewhere that priece ears ask how old and stuff and all that can happen
    myangelelena

Answer by myangelelena at 1:21 AM on Dec. 10, 2009

• I personally am against altering any part of a child unless it's medically necessary, until they are old enough to make the decision on their own.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 1:25 AM on Dec. 10, 2009

• i think when you get them pierce now she wont be able to be pulling or scratching if u do it when she is one shes going to cry more and be pulling on them i went to get my baby ear pierce when she was two months and actually heal fast

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:31 AM on Dec. 10, 2009

• yeah i wouldn't do it till shes older, my daughter is 4 mos and there's no way im going to give her more discomfort (it realy hard being a baby)for 2 weeks even normal sounds scares them and you want to stab a needle in her ear? if it gets touch damn you know its going to hurt them .. they dont know why it hurts so bad .. no way just wait trust me it will save you from lots of crying and regret btw im not against piercings i have 13 myself lol my septum, lip, ears i know what it feels like and i dont wish that upon a little one!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:37 AM on Dec. 10, 2009

• I would wait until she's at least two, but that's just my opinion. I'm going to wait until my daughter asks me and then take her. I'm thinking she will ask me when she is about 8? I think it will be fun to go together when she is older.
    theutilitarian

Answer by theutilitarian at 1:56 AM on Dec. 10, 2009

• I think it's fine to do it at 2mths; I've never known anyone who's baby had problems with their ears being pierced as a baby. However, my friends daughter was 2 or 3 when she got her ears pierced and it was terrible. She was constantly pulling on them taking them out Took her ears forever to heal; she wanted them btw. And as for, "you don't know if she'll even want them pierced" If she doesn't she won't wear earrings big deal; Maybe when she's an adult she'd change her mind and won't have to go through taking care of them because her mommy already did that for her. I have 3 wholes in each of my ears and I hardly ever wear earrings, but you can barely tell that they are pierced so it's not a big deal; just convenient for when I want to wear earrings.
    heartfrommyson

Answer by heartfrommyson at 2:10 AM on Dec. 10, 2009

• My mom had my ears pierced when I was a baby. I don't remember anything about it, and my mom said everything was fine and easy. When I was 11 I got them pierced again and I had the worse time afterwards. Having to rotate them and clean them. I almost wished I hadn't got them pierced but I wanted them. Anyways point is as a baby it was much easier on ME versus when I was older.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:13 AM on Dec. 10, 2009

• I have a brand new 3 week old daughter, and I can't conceive of willingly causing her any pain. I agree with the other women who suggest waiting until she's old enough to make the decision herself. I have a nose ring and several piercings in my ears. In the past I have had my belly button, tongue, and nipples pierced, and I also have 8 tattoos. I will obviously not ban my daughter from tattoos and piercings, but I also will not force them on her. A big part of piercings is the responsibility of taking care of the healing process. I believe if a girl is old enough to clean and tend to a tattoo or piercing and make that decision, then they are old enough to get one. There is no way in hell my little one can clean her bum, let alone take care of a piercing. My mother made me wait until I was 8 to get mine, and I am glad she did. It was like getting a little responsibility.
    blackballoon81

Answer by blackballoon81 at 2:30 AM on Dec. 10, 2009

• Wait til she tells you herself she wants to get her ears pierced. Yeah, she'll be in pain, but with a HUGE smile on her face cuz you prepared her for it and she knows the end result is what SHE wants. My nieces all decided this when they were around 5. They came home with red earlobes but the biggest smile! It was a worth waiting when you see how excited they were about this. :)
    Vero0724

Answer by Vero0724 at 2:44 AM on Dec. 10, 2009