i had my baby boy at 34 weeks and he's in the NICU i'm so sad.... anyone else been been through this?

all i want is for him to be healthy and be home with his mommy... he was born dec 4.

mellyhayes

Asked by mellyhayes at 2:24 AM on Dec. 10, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My son was born at 40wks but wasn't breathing when he was born. He was in the NICU one month. I cried the first day but was thankful every day after that because I didn't get the scary call from the hospital. I hope this helps. Message me. Only NICU baby moms understand each other. You don't have the baby blues like other moms and you feel robbed of the moment when the baby's born. Also, homecoming WITH baby is the BEST feeling in the world. Cuz there's a moment when you don't think it'll happen, but it does!
    Keep your spirits up. Your baby needs your strong energy and so does SO/DH. He also needs to be the rock in all this. It's also amazing how dads step up to the plate in these situations. They become superdads in an instant!

Although I wish we had had a healthy delivery, our experience shaped the parents we are today!
    Vero0724

Answer by Vero0724 at 2:38 AM on Dec. 10, 2009

• My daughter was born at 33.5 weeks, and she weighed all of 2 lbs 15 oz. She stayed in NICU for 28 days, waiting to reach 4 lbs before they'd consider sending her home.

It was very tough. We were only allowed to hold her once a day for an hour. She was hooked up to 9 different tubes and wires, but fortunately her lungs were developed enough she didn't need a breathing tube. Each week the staff would remove a few of the lines as she progressed.

The peace I found was I knew Tess was in very good hands being watched 24/7 by a well trained staff. Being so small, home was not the best place for her. Take your away time to recover and prepare your home for when he does finally get there (being early, I was totally unprepared!).

There's at least one Moms of Premies group here you should check out. Best of luck to you and your little boy!

anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 2:51 AM on Dec. 10, 2009

• Yep, I had a 34 weeker! Stay with him in the NICU as much as you can and practice "kangaroo care". This is where mom holds baby against her bare chest. This can really help baby progress in learning to eat and gaining weight so that you can bring him home. The other thing you can be doing for your baby is pumping your milk for him, even if he can't latch on yet.
    Hang in there, he will be home soon!
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 12:19 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• I had my son at 40 weeks, he weighed 2lbs 6.8oz-- he stayed in the NICU for 6 weeks because when he was born his lungs weren't fully developed. It was the most terrifying thing i have ever been through in my life. I went to visit him everyday about 3 times a day. All i could do was pray for him and let him know that i was there and loved him. After 6 weeks he got to come home with me. I had never been so happy in my life! He is now 2 (3 in march) and you could never tell that i had a 2 lb baby. He is healthy and happy, not to mention very smart. Kepp your head up-- it will get better. I will keep you and your family in my thoughts and prayers.
    BriTony08

Answer by BriTony08 at 3:09 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• i had my son at 35 weeks granted he was 8lbs 11oz but he wasn't breathing when he was born and he was on oxygen for a day but never in the NICU but i wasn't able to hold him until he was 1 day old and even then it was only for a couple mins but i know how hard it is i was pumping every 3 hrs and always down in the nursery talking to him and holding his hand
    sweet.lil.mama

Answer by sweet.lil.mama at 6:31 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• i went into pre term labor at 31 weeks. i had to stay in the hospital until i was 35 week. i was so upset that i thought my girls where going to have to be in there. my biggest fear was haveing to leave without them. but i got so lucky that they were born at 36 week and didnt have to go in there. i am so sorry. but hey at least you got to 34 week. when i was on the anti pardon floor there was a girl that had her baby at 26 week and it lived. your baby will not be in there long. just hold your head up and be strong. you made it this far.
    twinsnseptember

Answer by twinsnseptember at 10:23 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• Oh god yes...and I remember how awful that is. My twins were born at 34 weeks and went straight from inside me to the NICU...I didn't even get to see them until the next day when I could finally get out of bed. I didn't get to hold my son for a few days. I cried when I realized I would be leaving the hospital without them, and cried every time I had to leave them when my visits were over. I was lucky, our NICU staff encouraged parents to be there and to do whatever they were allowed to as much as they could. They would even call me at home to let me know if feeding times had changed for the day so I could be there to feed them (well my son was tube fed but at least I would hold him when he "ate"). My daughter came home after 2 weeks and my son was in for a month since he took forever to develop a suck reflex and also got an UTI and needed intravenous antibiotics.
    It's hard but not forever...stay strong and good luck!
    sgtdemanda

Answer by sgtdemanda at 11:24 PM on Dec. 10, 2009