SIDS ...is it ever the parents fault?

I don't mean entirely, but if SIDS is so sudden and the cause is unknown, then why do doctors suggest things not to do to lessen the chances of SIDS? IMO, I think there are some cases where SIDS is said to be the cause of death of an infant, but from other details it partly seems like it was the parents fault...Anyone agree or know what I mean?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:41 AM on Dec. 10, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Well they say that infants exposed to 2nd and/or 3rd hand smoke are higher risk, so if you are a smoker and you infant dies from SIDS then yes, it may be your fault.
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 2:52 AM on Dec. 10, 2009

• I just looked at the risk factors again and it says that if you smoked or did drugs during your pregnancy the risk is higher and if the mother is under 20 the risk is higher. SO I guess those are both partly on the mother.
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 2:56 AM on Dec. 10, 2009

• I am sure there have been instances where the Dr. just tells the family that there was nothing they could have done to prevent it, because it is better that way for everybody.
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 2:59 AM on Dec. 10, 2009

• There is a high correlation between SIDS and smoking.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:59 AM on Dec. 10, 2009

• So my niece had twins, one of whom was taken by SIDS. She does not and never has smoked, was 28 and had two older children when the twins were born, it is NOT the parents fault, and to even suggest that it might be is inappropriate and insensitive of you. You ought to be ashamed of yourself.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:53 AM on Dec. 10, 2009

• if you leave your child unattended yes it can be your fault
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 8:07 AM on Dec. 10, 2009

• They suspect that SIDS may be caused by the infant sleeping so deeply that the body forget to breath. Thus they recommend that you put your child to sleep on their back. When I was little they said to put a child on there belly since that was how an infant likes to sleep, but when they went to sleeping on the back the cases of SIDS dropped dramatically, enough that there is some kind of positive correlation if not a second dairy causation.

Are all kids death of SIDS purely SIDS probably not, but infants can't talk so unless there are signs of mistreatment then it is blamed on SIDS.

DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 8:49 AM on Dec. 10, 2009

• There are things that a parent might do to either increase the risk or things that have been proven to lessen the risk... if a parent chooses to not follow those recommendations then I think it's partly the parents fault. If a parent chooses to smoke during pregnancy (which doubles the risk) and/or continues to smoke after the baby is born or does other drugs while pregnant or chooses to put their baby on their tummy.
    Just because something is "sudden" doesn't mean there isn't someone to blame... I have seen on here people claim that they will do what they want as far as tummy sleeping and such because "if it's going to happen, it's going to happen" and I don't agree.
    A lot of things are called "SIDS" but are though... things like suffocation which I think happens more often either because of use of blankets or because of being rolled over on by someone.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 9:01 AM on Dec. 10, 2009

• I don't believe in SIDS. It's simply what the doctors say when they cannot explain the death. There are so many things that can go wrong that may not be detected in a child so small. I think there is an underlying cause that we have not yet determined, but I don't think it's the parents fault. There are things patents can do to protect their child and if they are not then yes they are partly to blame (leaving stuffed animals or lots of blankets in the crib and the child suffocates).  My best guess is that SIDS has many different causes such as unusual or unknown defects in the child that cause the death, or the child suffocates but it is too hard to tell, or diseases we have not yet discovered.   Just think, back in the day many people died of "natural cuases" but today we would probably know they had heart disease or cancer or lung problems. 

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:12 AM on Dec. 10, 2009

• No it's not the parents fault.
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 9:24 AM on Dec. 10, 2009