Marriage

Since symbolism is so huge in the bible, and especially the doctrine I was raised in, is marriage really the best idea? I mean Jesus and Paul it would be better to abstain from marriage so we could do God's work. Can anyone explain this to me please.

rhanford

Asked by rhanford at 2:54 AM on Dec. 10, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• If you can dedicate your whole life to the Lord, without any wants or needs for a man/woman, then that would be better, then your concern would be what does God want from me, not what does my SO want from me.
    robyann

Answer by robyann at 8:20 AM on Dec. 10, 2009

• For some people it's not. That's why we have monks and nuns.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 2:57 AM on Dec. 10, 2009

• See I was raised that hte Catholic church is wrong in that area. Like it was forced and these people hate their lives. I have yet to see a nun who didn't want to be one. I mean you have to go through studies and classes and then your allowed in the cool kids club as far as I understand. But then I have been taught that the doctrines of demons shall forbid us to marry, ummmm I have never heard the catholics ever say we are forbidden from marrying. So idk... But since symbolance is so important ni my churches doctorine If I read the bible the same way everwhere like they do certain places then I would have to come to the conclusion that marriage isn't the bst option for us at all. It would best if we stayed away from it.
    rhanford

Answer by rhanford at 3:06 AM on Dec. 10, 2009

• 1 Corinthians 7:29-40 covers this.
    A Christian who is able to cope the singleness will have fewer distractions and more freedom to serve the God and an easier time of following Christ. But if someone chooses to marry their conscience shouldn't feel troubled. This advice and direction makes more sense when you keep in mind Paul is talking to faith Chrsitians who are to have no sex outside of marriage and the expectation on Christ's followers to be preachers/ministers too. These two standards have been dropped or are largely ignored by Christendom today, making that passge appear puzzling to many now.
    CosyMama

Answer by CosyMama at 4:22 AM on Dec. 10, 2009

• There is nothing wrong with marriage infact the apostle peter was married. in fact in 1 Tim 4 v 1-3 it says However, the inspired utterance says definitely that in later periods of time some will fall away from the faith, paying attention to misleading inspired utterances and teachings of demons, 2 by the hypocrisy of men who speak lies, marked in their conscience as with a branding iron; 3 forbidding to marry, commanding to abstain from foods which God created to be partaken of with thanksgiving by those who have faith and accurately know the truth.
    Yes it says that there would be those forbidding to marry. It would therfore be wromg to stop priests and elders of churches from marrying. However it is not wrong either for ones to remain unmarried if they choose to do so and that is what the apostle paul was saying in 1 cor chapter 7.
    loopieann

Answer by loopieann at 4:53 AM on Dec. 10, 2009

• Just remember in saying was okay for people to remain unmarried it was NOT! saying it was okay for them to remain unmarried but act as if married, ie, having a sexual relationship with someone. Marriage is the only course of making a sexual relationships, with the person to who we are married!, acceptable to God.

PrivateWitness
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:59 AM on Dec. 10, 2009

• I have nothing against marriage at all but I will always believe it to be just a piece of paper. The relationship is what matters.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:13 AM on Dec. 10, 2009

• The Shakers from the 1700-1800s practiced strict celibacy, never marrying. They gained followers from adoption and conversion.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 10:12 AM on Dec. 10, 2009

• i was not saying though that if you remain unmarried it is ok to have sex outside the marriage arrangement i.e living together and unmarried sex. As Galations 5 verse 19 says 'Now the works of the flesh are manifest, and they are fornication, uncleanness, loose conduct, 20 idolatry, practice of spiritism, enmities, strife, jealousy, fits of anger, contentions, divisions, sects, 21 envies, drunken bouts, revelries, and things like these. As to these things I am forewarning YOU, the same way as I did forewarn YOU, that those who practice such things will not inherit God’s kingdom.'
    loopieann

Answer by loopieann at 12:31 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• In Puritan America, church leaders were forbidden to perform marriage ceremonies, as marriage was a CIVIL and secular rite, NOT a religious one. There is a middle ground. Both Jesus and Paul were mysogynists. Paul's opinion of women in general is evident in his directive that they "keep silent in the church." Yes, Jesus had female disciples and a more open attitude than most men of his generation, but there are still no mentions of women being at the last supper eating with the other disciples, or in the garden where he agonized over his fate while the male disciples slept!! They are allowed access to Jesus only when he is hanging on the tree, crucified. They are allowed to perform "womanly" duties like washing and annointing his body after his death. Yet when Mary Magdalene told his male disciples about his ressurection, she was chastised and silenced. In the bible, women don't count.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 7:04 PM on Dec. 10, 2009