How to keep the room warmer?

we have a space heater but I don't want to have it on constantly (baby lives in the room) his parents don't turn the thermostat up very high because they want to save money and for some reason our room gets even less heat then the whole house. so even with all 3 of us in the same bed we wake up freazing because it's like 59 degrees in the room when we wake up.
I think it's the windows fault honestly- it's 8 degrees outside and i feel a draft coming from the window. it's completely shut tight, is there anything i can do to stop the cold from coming in from the outside? this really concerns me because my husband gets sick easily and my son is only 3 1/2 months old.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:12 AM on Dec. 10, 2009 in Home & Garden

• Measure the windows, and go to a hardware store and buy a window sealing kit (or you can use heavy plastic and blue or green tape).

We have our thermostat at 55 at night and 62 during the day; wear warm socks and hats to keep the heat in your bodies.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:44 AM on Dec. 10, 2009

• -put a towel at the bottom of the window.
    -put up blinds and you can get a heavy curtain that blocks noise and keeps the room better insulated. They're energy star rated, and only about $15 a pop. (well worth it)
    -light some candles before you go to bed, they give off a lot more heat than people like to think.
    -get a heater with a timer on it
    -put a rug down on the floor, any insulation you can put in the room will help

:)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:05 AM on Dec. 10, 2009

• True story - personal experience - the neighbor burnt her house down trying to heat with candles. Do not do it!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:27 AM on Dec. 10, 2009

• Keep your curtains/blinds shut at all time. Tack some blankets up to your windows.

Answer by louise2 at 8:17 AM on Dec. 10, 2009

• Use an electric blanket. I agree don't use candles. I'm even afraid of space heaters. My first thought is get that film at the hardware store. It will help insulate your windows. Also put insulated drape liner, and insulated drapes over the windows. I wouldn't make the room air tight by also blocking air flow under the door, that doesn't sound safe, especially if you use a space heater. We have always set our thermostat at 55 at night. We use layers of blankets, flannel sheets, and I wear flannel pj's. If you can afford it, perhaps you could offer to pay the difference in the heating bill if you want the temp set up higher. Ask the baby's doctor about the temp setting, if 59 is OK for the little one.

Answer by Bmat at 8:18 AM on Dec. 10, 2009

• If you turn the heater on its low setting it will not be on constantly, it will turn off when it gets "warm"
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:30 AM on Dec. 10, 2009

• Go to any hardware store and they have plastic you can shrink wrap your windows with by using a blowdryer. I use it on my windows every winter and it keeps my apt warm.
    grooveybabe004

Answer by grooveybabe004 at 11:39 AM on Dec. 10, 2009

• Plastic the window - any window can appear to be shut tight but have leaks anywhere around it. There's also no harm in running a space heater constantly, as long as it's a newer one, cool-touch, auto turn off if it tips or reaches the desired temp, etc. We have 2 or 3 space heaters running 24-7 (unless we leave the house for the day, then we unplug them completely) with no problem, and very little reflection on the electric bill.
    Anonymous

• Please no candles while you sleep. I think constantly running a space heater and using electric blankets is a great idea. I thought my house was cold keep the heat at 71 during the day and 67 at night.
    Anonymous