i feel like a horrible mommy...

im 27 weeks pregnant with my second child. i have a 23 month old son who was preemee and since i had him early im a "high risk" pregnancy right now. they put me on progesterone suppositories, since i started them i cramped really bad but after a month i finally just stopped . the doctor told me she highly doubted the cramps were from the medicine and highly suggested i continue. i lost insurance and havent been able to get more, they cost $80 without and welfare hasnt kicked in yet, its been about three four weeks now, either way i REALLY dont want to take them. the cramps hurt so bad, i couldnt stand for more then five minutes or pick my son up without almost crying! ontop of that she said not to have sex while taking them, we've had sex once or twice, and then there is so much stress my family is causing, my hubby lost his job and we have to move. i just feel horrible and don't know what to do! i need to know im not a bad mo

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:56 AM on Dec. 10, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Don't see how any of the above would qualify you as a bad mom. You have to do what's best for you mamma, the dr is just there to guide you. If you don't want the meds then don't take em but realize there's a chance you may go into labor early again. Try to take it as easy as possible, the stress is gonna cause you more problems than anything else. Tell your family members that you need their support & love during this time not their bullshit. If they continue to stress you then just stop talking to them until after you deliver (I had to do this w/ my MIL, was bout to kill her!!!!) Realize that there are gonna be lots of situations that are out of your control & learn to ride out the bad times w/ out getting yourself into a tizzy. Member you're hormones are all over the place too!! You'll be okay mamma & NO YOU ARE NOT A BAD MAMMA, YOU ARE A GREAT MAMMA!!!!! Hang in there!
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 8:26 AM on Dec. 10, 2009

• If you are trying to avoid labor I can't imagine that something that causes cramps would be good, but I know nothing about progesterone suppositories. I suggest you do some more reasearch on the side effects. At least read the insert that came with them. If you come to the concuslion that the doctor is right and that isn't what was causing your cramps and want to take them again. Ask her for free samples. Good luck
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:23 AM on Dec. 10, 2009

• Progestrone would not cause your cramps. Your cramps are part of your high-risk pregnancy. If you have a hormone imbalance (confirmed with bloodwork, I'm assuming your dr isn't just guessing) and don't want to lose this baby you really should take the progestrone your doctor prescribed.

I have a lot of hormone issues myself and have been on estrogen vaginal suppositories and even the estro-ring. Both gave me side effects for the first 2 weeks, but after my hormones were corrects, I felt better than I did before taking the estrogen.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 10:41 AM on Dec. 10, 2009