What words of wisdom during a death in the family would you say to someone?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:36 AM on Dec. 10, 2009 in Relationships

• Actually, I found that a good firm genuine hug or a shoulder to cry on provided me with more comfort than the words people spoke. Or even just a listening ear. As humans we all want to say just the right thing when someone dies. Even after having been through what I've been through I still struggle with trying to find words of wisdom when someone passes. Truth be known there really is nothing to say. Most of everything sounds trite......"Only God knows why things happen the way they do," "He's in a better place," "He's not suffering anymore." None of these phrases brought me any peace. "I'm sorry" is probably the best, most simplistic, comment, but even then you should be prepared for someone to potentially lash out in grieving and say something to the effect of, "Not as sorry as I am." The thing I disliked most of all was, "I can't imagine what you're going through." To that I could only reply, con't
    WindyTheWidow

Answer by WindyTheWidow at 8:48 AM on Dec. 10, 2009

• i would just say that you are there for them if they need you...dont say i'm sorry or anything like that because i think that would upset someone
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 8:44 AM on Dec. 10, 2009

• "I hope you never have to do anything more than imagine it." Meaning, the only way they could know what I was going through is if it happened to them. A grieving person isn't in their right state of mind. They can unintentionally be rude, unfeeling, or any number of things you may not expect. Cut them lots of slack, let them know you are there for them by calling just to check in. Again, a hug is so much better than words spoken, unless it is a good hug and an "I love you."
    WindyTheWidow

Answer by WindyTheWidow at 9:06 AM on Dec. 10, 2009

• Don't try to give words of wisdom, just be there for support.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:08 AM on Dec. 10, 2009