DD wants to volunteer. Would you let her?

She's 14 years old and she wants to do some volunteer work when she's off school for Christmas. She wants to help in our local church where they give out food for the homeless. I would like to say yes because I think the fact that she wants to do it is amazing, but I'm a little uncomfortable letting her go there on her own.
I would like to go there with her just to be sure she's ok there, but I can't because I just had twins and they're 16 days old, I can't go and leave them with a babysitter!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:40 AM on Dec. 10, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• ask someone at the church to look after her
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 8:42 AM on Dec. 10, 2009

• Absolutely, you should encourage her as there are too many teens these days who have no idea about charity or just don't care. If she can find it in her heart to to this type of thing at her age she will find much success in her life. Please find someone at the church who is willing to keep an eye on her during this event. Bless her heart. We need more people in the world like her. Congrats on your new twins.
    mom_wrhsc

Answer by mom_wrhsc at 8:49 AM on Dec. 10, 2009

• Yes, I would let her do it. Teenagers nowadays are really ignorant and many of them don't even care about other people. I think what your daughter wants to do is amazing, she must be a unique child. Congrats, you must have done a very good job!
    Emmagr

Answer by Emmagr at 9:05 AM on Dec. 10, 2009

• Have her go with a group of people, adult also. Grandparent...father or good friend of yours. Going alone is not a good idea.
    banderasgrl

Answer by banderasgrl at 10:36 AM on Dec. 10, 2009

• I did it at a local church at 14 and I'm not trying to knock the do gooders but I was propositioned by at least one guy a night. Not every one who goes to a soup kitchen is a family down and out, some of them are just junkies who would rather spend their money on drugs/alcohol. Her hearts in the right place but I would not let my DD go unless I knew she had someone looking out for her.

Anonymous

• Maybe talk to the people who run it and see if someone can keep an eye on her.
    kendra1417

Answer by kendra1417 at 12:12 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• also what I forgot to say is congrats to you for raising a child who wants to help in the community.
    kendra1417

Answer by kendra1417 at 12:16 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• I started volunteering at a nursing home when I was 11. So I say let her, but ask someone you know & trust to keep an eye out for her, get her a cell phone if she doesn't have one (even one of those little kids ones with only 4 buttons that she can call home, or a trac phone, just in case - so she has a guaranteed way to get ahold of you if she can't access a phone at the church). And good for you for raising a kid who wants to help, and kudos to her for wanting to help!
    Anonymous

• I think it is great, have a friend at church keep an eye on her for you, and she can also use community hours required for when she graduates.

Answer by older at 4:45 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• YES, let her go. There will be other adults there to watch over her and what an amazing daughter you have that wants to spend part of her vacation helping others. You should be very proud of her!!!!!!

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:08 PM on Dec. 10, 2009