am still lactating but i need to get preganant.

i had my baby six months ago, but he died after delivery, so i did not breast feed at all, but i noticed that my milk still comes out.ive taken some drugs to stop the lactation but to no avail. what do i do?

emma111

Asked by emma111 at 8:52 AM on Dec. 10, 2009 in Trying to Conceive

• Firstly, I am so sorry for the loss of your baby, I cannot imagine how hard that is.
    Secondly you can conceive while lactatng.
    And third, you sound like this is urgent? Is there a time limit to when you need to conceive due to your husband leaving, or work schedule?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:16 AM on Dec. 10, 2009

• I am so sorry for the loss of your baby, my DH and I have been through this, and nothing anyone says makes it any better. It took us 3 years to get pg-- I would buy an ovulation kit and use it, I think that 6 months is odd to still be lactating? What does the doctor say? Once again, I am so sorry, and whenever you do have your baby, he or she has a special angel to always watch out for them, good luck!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 9:49 AM on Dec. 10, 2009

• If you are still checking your breasts (squeezing them) to see if milk is coming out then you are going to keep producing it! Stop checking! I had the same concern after weaning my son. The doc said how do you know you are still lactating and I told him that I was checking. He said, well that's why you are still lactating, quit checking! lol

Even if you are producing just a small teeny amount, you can get pregnant. I lost my daughter 2 days before her due date 4 months ago and I know that feeling of urgency to get pregnant again. I completely understand you. I didn't get to take drugs to stop lactation and I have to say that is the worst feeling to have all that milk and no baby. It's gone now because I quit checking everyday :) I am so sorry for your loss, I hope you get pregnant very soon. I'm 6wks now and terrified but everything will be okay, we have to have that hope :)
    all4mymarine

Answer by all4mymarine at 11:31 AM on Dec. 10, 2009

• PP is right. Don't express anything, even to check. Also, you can wear cabage leaves in your bra. You will smell like sour krout but it is the safest and quickest way to dry up.

Don't worry too much about the lactation. I've gotten pregnant 2 times while breastfeeding previous children.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 12:53 PM on Dec. 10, 2009