Please some one answer. Does it make a difference?

My husband and I are debating weather or not to file joint returns. Is there a difference in the total amount of money we would get back for filing joint or seperate returns?

melibear5715

Asked by melibear5715 at 9:49 AM on Dec. 10, 2009 in Money & Work

• My grandparents file seperated every year. For them its the best way to go. Just dont forget about the earned income for your children. Who ever made more should claim the kids that way you will recieve more in the end!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:46 AM on Dec. 10, 2009

• It's better joint.  Read

Anonymous

• Of course this completely depends on your income situation, but if you are going to claim ANY kind of earned income credit, the law is VERY specific that you HAVE to file a joint tax return or earned income credit will NOT be allowed. The IRS got really tired of people splitting the amount of children they have and then filing seperate in order to "get more" on the tax return with EIC. So, thats pretty much the best answer I can give without knowing your particular income situation. Now, IF you make way more than you can for EIC, I believe you can file seperate, but if filing seperate puts either of your incomes to where you could be getting EIC, once again, you must file joint. The IRS is more likely to audit your return if you have been filing joint all the yrs before and then all of a sudden, without a divorce, you file seperate. In general, if you are married, joint is the best way to file
    SuperMomof3kids

Answer by SuperMomof3kids at 11:49 AM on Dec. 10, 2009

• I've always been told that if you are married, it's best in most cases to file jointly.

Answer by missanc at 12:51 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• Fill out both forms and see which one is best for you two. It will depend on your deductions, income, all those things... So yeah, no one can give you a straight answer on which is best. It really depends on a lot of underlying things.
    Anonymous

• Go on turbo tax and put your information in both ways and see what works out best. You will not be charged. It is free until you actually file it.
    kellih77

Answer by kellih77 at 6:45 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• generally it's better joint. Best way to tell is to get a few returns and start filling them out. Be mindful of the requirements when filing married filing separate, too.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:18 AM on Dec. 11, 2009

• I agree that it is better to file jointly, you are more than likely going to get more in return than filing single. Since only ONE person is allowed to claim head of household and single gets taxed more than filing jointly.
    ameriplanmommy5

Answer by ameriplanmommy5 at 11:43 PM on Dec. 11, 2009