Has being honest backfired on you?

I'm one to be honest and let ppl know if something is bothering me. Also if ppl ask my opinion I don't just agree with them, I tell them the truth. A "past" friend always asked me a lot of financial questions. I mean when we were 13 it was ok but now it just seems rude to me. She asked me how much rent I was earning on my old house. Doesn't sound like a big deal but she ALWAYS asked how much we paid for things. I tried to make a joke out of it when she asked but she kept insisting I tell her. So I said when does the book come out? She then flipped out cursing at me etc. We haven't spoken in 6 months. Might I add she was bad mouthing me on Facebook.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:09 AM on Dec. 10, 2009 in Relationships

• Ok. A) Bad mouthing on Facebook, seriously, how old are you? If that is what you're worried about, get a life.
    B) Yes, sometimes it CAN backfire if you're honest with a person, but quite frankly, your financial information is none of her business, no matter how close a friend she is (was). If you were willing and offered the information it is a different story, I would never ask a friend about their financials. However, she may not have been aware that this was rude. My suggestion is you try to talk to her about the situation, or you just drop her like a bad habit and ignore her bad mouthing.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:14 AM on Dec. 10, 2009

• I am honest though attempt to be tactful in all of my dealings w/ others. Yes it has led to alot of hurt feelings & lost friendships along the way but I never feel like I wavered in my integrity. Those that can't handle the truth aren't meant to be my friend. Now, you could have said something along the lines of, "I really don't see how that's any of your buisness & I don't want to disucss it with you" vs snapping at her like you did. I don't think what you said is what ended the friendship, there were other feelings there before this comment occured & she used it as the catalyst to give her an excuse to end your friendship. If you value the friendship then you're gonna have to be the bigger person & go talk to her about the deeper issue between you two. If you don't wanna be friends anymore then f&%$ it & tell her to shut her mouth.
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 10:15 AM on Dec. 10, 2009

• I'm sorry your in a situation like that. She must have really taken it to heart, if she hasn't gotten over it by now. If someone asks me a financial questions it doesn't really bother me too much.
    Cappy1979

Answer by Cappy1979 at 10:15 AM on Dec. 10, 2009

• Oh yea & those that are that interested in your financials are usually playing "Keep up with the Jones" & only wants to know cuz she's jealous.
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 10:17 AM on Dec. 10, 2009

• Thx. Also, Im not worried about the Facebook thing. I just ignored her and I blocked her so she cant view my info or see anything I post. Exactly my point, she is pushing 33!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:17 AM on Dec. 10, 2009

• LOL!!!!! Since when has age been any indication of maturity level? LOL!!!
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 10:23 AM on Dec. 10, 2009

• To nyx7: I like your input. Do you think saying when does the book come out snapping at her? Im not being fresh, maybe Im just not understanding what you are telling me lol
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:25 AM on Dec. 10, 2009

• I think she took it as a rude, slap in the face comment. Don't think she realized how intrusive her ? was so when you responded that way she was really taken back. Don't think you meant it that way at all, think you got a little smart ass in you just like I do & we don't always realize how we sound to others. Don't think you're fresh, like that you asked for clarification. I gotta jump off & go run errands uhhhhhh but send me a friend invite & we'll chat more!
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 10:30 AM on Dec. 10, 2009