question about coating a canvas.... please read

I was thinking about having my son, 19 m/o, draw on a small canvas I'v e had forever which is collecting dust. lol. It would be a gift for his opa (my dad)! But....he only colors with washable crayons and the canvas is good for oil or acrlic paint. If I have him draw with the crayons, is there a certain coat or something I can spray or carefully apply over the drawing to preserve it? I mean since it is washable? Or any other suggestions? should I just have him use acrylic paint for this project and give him a bath right after?

Owl_Feather

Asked by Owl_Feather at 10:16 AM on Dec. 10, 2009 in Hobbies & Crafts

• i let my kids 3 and 15months paint with the cheap acrylics that come in little bottles (usually less then a dollar each) i just put the little one in the tub with nothing but a diaper on and make sure she doesnt try to put in her mouth. that always makes for super easy clean up.
    if you want to go with the washable crayons you can try a spray enamel or spray sealnt to coat it, it should work just fine, but it may make the picture look speckled or make it bleed, we dont use those types of crayons so i'm not sure how it would react. you can pick that up at any craft store.
    morningstar101

Answer by morningstar101 at 3:35 AM on Dec. 12, 2009

• You'd have to be careful with the paint idea (HUGE mess potential, and you don't want it to get in his mouth), but I think you should do that!! Your DS will have SO much fun and your dad will love it!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:18 AM on Dec. 10, 2009

• ok you mean I should do acrylic then? yes...neeeeewspaper will be everywhere lol I might even just have him draw in the tub then when done give him a bath....thanks!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 10:25 AM on Dec. 10, 2009

• i did finger paint!!!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 6:04 PM on Dec. 10, 2009