Do you ever feel guilty about driving a gas guzzler?

We are thinking about getting an Excursion. I know one of the main reasons they went out of production was because they are not very fuel efficient. But we live very close to work and stores so we don't have to drive very far. Also, we have three kids with maybe one more down the road and four dogs, three of which are large so we always need extra space.

sherwins.girl

Asked by sherwins.girl at 10:21 AM on Dec. 10, 2009 in Money & Work

• I wouldn't buy something like that, they aren't practicle. The maintenance alone is more expensive, not just the gas. If I wanted a bigger car I would get a mini van, they are more fuel efficient and have a ton of room. But I wouldn't feel guilty about buying a gas guzzler, just don't think it's cost effective and not worth it
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:26 AM on Dec. 10, 2009

• How about the Escalade instead?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:26 AM on Dec. 10, 2009

• We have an SUV that is about 12 years old and is a definite gas guzzler. We'd get rid of it if we could afford a car payment but we can't. I don't exactly feel guilty but I do hate the fact that we can't afford to every put much gas it in it seems. Thanks to the lovely economy, it's a catch 22, we can't really affford to drive it but we can't afford a car payment.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:27 AM on Dec. 10, 2009

• We don't drive gas guzzlers. We have a MINI Cooper and a small Nissan pickup that are both manuals and get excellent mileage. When the weather is nice, my husband rides his motorcycle to work. We used to have some bigger SUV's in the past but realized that they were not necessary or practical.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 10:37 AM on Dec. 10, 2009

• No I don't feel guilty for driving my gas guzzler. I have a large family, live out in the country and need plenty of room. I drive just under 30 miles to the closest grocery store and about 70 miles to get into the city for doctor appts, Costco shopping, and what everything else not available in my community. I pay for the luxury of having a nice ride that is able to meet my needs. If I had a smaller vehicle I would have to take 2 trips for what I can do with one. Gas for the second trip would cost more then what I'm paying now, and you can't put a price on safety that a larger vehicle gives you.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:40 AM on Dec. 10, 2009

• Why would you feel guilty? It's not like you're flying around on a gas guzzling private jet!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:43 AM on Dec. 10, 2009

• No guilt here, but I don't have it anymore :( I drove a truck that got, on average, 13-16 miles/gallon highway. We downsized to a CUV that gets at least double the mileage - average anywhere from 26-34 mpg highway. But I miss my truck - I want a Suburban soooooo bad (I'm a Ford fan but not a huge fan of the Expedition, and an Explorer is too small with my kids). If you can afford the poor mileage, don't feel bad - we couldn't afford the poor mileage anymore, and I still didn't feel bad driving my truck - I need something bigger with 4-wd or awd, as we're almost 20 miles from any decent town! My car's not gonna plow through drifted roads the way my truck did, if I have to go out in inclement weather!
    Anonymous

• We have a minivan, but it's not big enough - I'm pregnant with my 5th and once they all get to be in their teens, with luggage to go anywhere, there just won't be any room left! We're considering an Excursion as well, but we've been looking at the diesel ones that get way better mileage. They don't currently make them, the ones that we are looking at are like 3 years old, but I would never buy a brand new vehicle anyway!
    I wouldn't feel guilty - we would only use it when all of us were in the car anyway, which isn't very often - maybe once/twice a week for short distances and 2-3 times/year for vacations. I have a small wagon for around town and my dh has his Porsche. But if you need it, no reason to feel guilty!

Answer by missanc at 12:50 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• We have an Excursion they are very practicle, we LOVE, LOVE ours it is so awesome!!! We also have an F-350 truck and are looking at getting a Hummer this summer, no guilt here!! Oh and vans do not have near the room our Excursion does and our Excursion gets 18 to 20 MPG but it it chipped out also!
    lapcounter

Answer by lapcounter at 1:41 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• I agree with you guys on the vans... After putting people in, there isnt much room left for cargo and dogs... Plus they dont have the towing capability we would like to have for later on... We are looking at the diesel model so it should get a little bit better mileage... Thanks everyone for your input, good or bad ;)
    sherwins.girl

Answer by sherwins.girl at 2:33 PM on Dec. 10, 2009