If a candiate reflected your views on every issue but was an Atheist, would you vote for him/her?

Or would the religious issue be the one thing you couldn't overlook? Would you vote for someone you hardly agreed with on the issues simply because that person WAS religious?

Do you think it's possible for an Atheist to be President in the US? how about a Muslim? Jew? Wiccan? Hindu? Satanist? Why or why not?

IhartU

Asked by IhartU at 10:26 AM on Dec. 10, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I think that it is a bunch of BULLSHIT when ANY Christian denies that their religious view would effect there voting in politics. If you look around, most of them are itching with the allergic thoughts that Obama might be Muslim (although he is Christian - tomato...)

And if you ask what a politicians faith is they are ALL Christian, why??? B/c that is the religious influence of America.

I personally wouldn't care either way. In fact i would love to see an Atheist Latino Woman President, but I wont hold my breath.

sugahmamma

Answer by sugahmamma at 12:34 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• Personally I dont' like religon at all. I feel that character has far more clout than a religous belief. So yes I would vote for someone if I like their stance on issues, their religous preference has NO bearing on my opinon of someone
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:32 AM on Dec. 10, 2009

• absolutely, a person's religion has nothing to do with their ability to lead
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 10:33 AM on Dec. 10, 2009

• I would say it would be easy for me to over look religion. This economy is in tremendous devastation and i don't think your religious point of view is going to help you run a country and make the political decisions needed. I may sound ignorant as in lack of knowledge but Facts are easy and many different religions are complicated. So with that said i would have to go with the Political party.

31angelmommy3

Answer by 31angelmommy3 at 10:35 AM on Dec. 10, 2009

• Agreed or not, their religion wouldnt play a part.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 10:36 AM on Dec. 10, 2009

• I myself have voted every time for a religious person because THAT'S ALL THERE IS TO CHOSE FROM. I actually think there have been past/present Candidates/Presidents who are not even religious and yet pretend to be because in this Country, religion is expected and people are under the false impression that non-religious people have no morals are untrustworthy, ignorant and not fit to lead our Nation.

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 10:37 AM on Dec. 10, 2009

• I think religion and politics should have nothing to do with each other. As long as the person is doing there job and leaves there religion out of it. I am ok with them.

Answer by louise2 at 10:38 AM on Dec. 10, 2009

• I'd very happily support any candidate who could keep religion out of their politics.

I'm doubtful a non-Christian could get into office, but I also said the same thing for an AA before Obama ran. So who knows?
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 10:40 AM on Dec. 10, 2009

• Religion has no place in politics. The only reason I would even consider someone's religion is if they demonstrated extremeist beliefs and had a history of acting on those beliefs.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:43 AM on Dec. 10, 2009

• I tend to vote for the person who i feel has the best ability for the job. but there are some political issues, that have religious overtones that might sway me.
    zanzeebeel

Answer by zanzeebeel at 10:48 AM on Dec. 10, 2009