Growing out short hair...

So, I had a Rhianna-type cut (the style before this stupid gold-wave she's rocking currently) and I'm in the process of growing it out. It's now just under my earlobes on the sides (almost chin-length in the front, and the back is almost as long as the sides now) and I'm wondering: HOW THE HELL DO I STYLE THIS TO KEEP FROM GOING CRAZY???? I'd love to have long hair again but don't know if I have the patience! Right now it just looks like the typical "soccer mom" cut. (and at 26, I'm too young for this hair, nor is it my style.) Help!!!!!

Kassey713

Asked by Kassey713 at 10:37 AM on Dec. 10, 2009 in Beauty & Style

• Also, my mom takes a vitamin she found at Wal-Mart. NO idea what it's called but the box makes it obvious that it's to help grow out your hair and nails and should be around the prenatals. My sister takes fish oil capsules and has the most gorgeous, amazingly long hair I've ever seen. I personally use Mane N Tail shampoo and conditioner and it has really helped my hair grow.
    Anonymous

• My hair went from this Photobucket

To this Photobucket (in between stage while growing out)

And then got it cut like this Photobucket

SandraB383

Answer by SandraB383 at 10:55 AM on Dec. 10, 2009

• I think there has to be the in-between, either that or just restyle again
    SandraB383

• SandraB, my hair's not even long enough to try the first style, LoL.... I tried flipping the ends out like that w/ my flat-iron and it just looked like I'd stuck my head out the window of the car... =D
    I just remember my hair growing SO fast when I was pregnant, courtesy of prenatal vitamins (and living in New Orleans; something about the South makes your hair grow faster. However, we moved back home to Michigan). Are there any vitamins I could take (OTHER than prenatals) that'd make my hair grow that fast again?
    Kassey713

Answer by Kassey713 at 11:21 AM on Dec. 10, 2009

• I HATE the in between crap! Could you maybe get it cut again (not length, just a new style like a few layers)? When my hair has been that short-- you'd think I would learn-- the only thing that kept me from losing my freakin' mind and shaving it was investing in some cute clips and headbands and just playing around with it til I found something tolerable. Once I even went so far as to get clip-in extensions and they were great. If you do consider that option, maybe look into Paris Hilton's Bandit so you don't have to worry about blending such short hair? It's a headband sort of wig that hides the back portion of your hair underneath. Never tried it but I hear it's good and comes in three lengths.
    Anonymous

• Clips and ties. It's winter-- rock the fashion hat. I was the hair accessory princess when my hair was growing out. head bands, barrettes, bows... so many options. And hats and head scarves are cute too.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 3:39 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• Ohhh yes! I like the hat idea :D
    SandraB383

Answer by SandraB383 at 5:16 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• My hair looks SO cute with a hat when it was short!
    SandraB383

Answer by SandraB383 at 5:17 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• Yeah, I tried different ways of styling it for about 2 hours yesterday (which made my husband crack up, on account of how frustrated it made me) and I just decided, screw it. I'm getting it cut off again on Saturday. I just don't have the patience for this (and I forget that my time with the flat-iron will double if my hair's long - when it's short, my dry-and-style routine only takes about 10 minutes)!
    Kassey713

Answer by Kassey713 at 9:46 AM on Dec. 11, 2009

• Lucky! It took me forEVER to do my hair when it was short! I also used to have mid back which also took FOREVER. I found my happy medium at shoulder length :) It almost always looks perfect and takes the least amount of time. So I guess you not being able to style your hair is just a sign that you're meant to have short hair :)
    SandraB383

Answer by SandraB383 at 11:14 AM on Dec. 11, 2009