Do you think kids should learn to read before they go to school?

My first son learnt to read when he was only four. My second one did the same. My daughter is in kindergarten and can't read yet. Do you think she should?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:46 AM on Dec. 10, 2009 in General Parenting

• I couldn't read well when I was in kindergarten but the teachers and my parents help and in no time I was reading. My sister could read before she went to school. I will teach my kid to read before he goes. Every kid learns different.
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 10:50 AM on Dec. 10, 2009

• What harm could it do?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:55 AM on Dec. 10, 2009

• It's awesome that your first 2 were able to break the sound (letter) code so early, but it's not like that for everyone. The purpose of school is to learn how to read, write, and do math. If they're learning it without school, then what's really the point of sending them?
    Anonymous

• I don't think it's necessary. If they want to, then teach them. If not, let them go. Whatelse are they going to do in school while the teacher is teaching the others how to read :) heheh. Everyone learns at their own pace so I don't think there needs to be set times they can do x or y, but merely time frames. 4-6 to learn to read seems reasonable.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:00 AM on Dec. 10, 2009

• No. Sometimes it gives them a headstart for school.My oldest couldn't read when she started kindergarten;the youngest was reading at roughly....18mon? Both of my girls are smart in their own individual ways.
    starrsun

Answer by starrsun at 11:03 AM on Dec. 10, 2009

• I read to DS regularly. He is 8mos, but already he will pat the book and talk, I tell DH "he's reading to me!"

I taught my 2 younger sisters to read before they were 5, with flashcards and Dr Suess... but every child is different. I will personally make sure my children learn phonics at home, simply because my nephew was taught in an unorthodox method of "guess what the word is." and I really didn't approve, still to this day (a new school and two years later) he can't sound a word out.
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 11:07 AM on Dec. 10, 2009

• There is a wide developmental range for reading; my ds was reading at 4yo, but I certainly wasn't. A lot of people are not capable of reading at that age. You can provide opportunities to learn, but you can't force it before their time.
    happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 11:07 AM on Dec. 10, 2009

• I thought that was what school was for...to teach kids to read and write, etc. I mean, it's great if they figure it out before they start school but it shouldn't be a prerequisite. If I wanted to homeschool my kids I would but I send them to school to learn read, write, do math, etc.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:17 AM on Dec. 10, 2009

• I thought they were taught reading in first grade. I learned to read myself when I was 4 but it didn't prove to be any advantage. Let your kids learn at their own pace or let the teachers in first grade teach them.
    Lindalu2

Answer by Lindalu2 at 11:29 AM on Dec. 10, 2009

• No, because if they have to sit through kindergarten anyway, and be bored to death while spending a week learning about the letter a, and then a week learning the letter b, and then a week learning the letter c....................................well, you get the idea. Schools will not accomodate them if they know more than the other kids.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:42 AM on Dec. 10, 2009