Do you explain or is ignorance bliss?

I have a rather naive friend who has a habit of singing/humming songs she likes in places that aren't really appropriate if you know and understand the words. Innuendo tends to shoot straight over her head, leading to things like her running around singing the "milk with the cocoa puffs" line of My Humps with no clue what she's actually singing about.

So would you explain it to her, or just let her keep singing and hope the kids don't pick it up?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:54 AM on Dec. 10, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Lol...I'd explain it to her. Even if she doesn't get the innuendo but the kids start singing it, a parent or someone is going to notice and get offended.

I ONLY say this because my friend's daughter got in trouble at school a while back because of a T-shirt she was wearing that had an "innuendo" that my friend just didn't get. The shirt was pretty harmless--it had a cartoon of a kitten on it and said "Pussyfoot Dance Team," but the shirt was deemed "inappropriate" because it had "the P word" on it. My friend and her daughter had no idea what "the P word" was or meant, but she still got a detention and couldn't go on the class trip. I laughed my butt off when she told me, but yeah, it's better for her to understand what she's singing about.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:04 AM on Dec. 10, 2009

• lol, I would have to tell her.
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 10:55 AM on Dec. 10, 2009

• Explain...
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 10:56 AM on Dec. 10, 2009

• Did you ever think that she knows what the songs mean. She might just like the song.

Answer by louise2 at 11:06 AM on Dec. 10, 2009

She has no idea that she's singing about anal sex. She's the type that if she did, she'd never let her kids hear the song, let alone sing it in front of them.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:08 AM on Dec. 10, 2009

• When I was like 12 me and my girlfriend started singing the song " cum baby cum baby", by K7, in front of her father. It was very catchy at the time. Anyway he went apeshit, but he was so relieved when we had know clue as to why he was angry.

...and yeah I would tell her..It might make her look low-class in the wrong situation.
    Anonymous

• WOW - the things people worry about!!

Better not let them listen to any Beatles music either then; Oh and Elvis better cut that out of the music library too. How horrible for kids to hear innocuous words that some adult has given an ulterior meaning too - what is the world coming to?

Better be safe and stick with only Disney - kid approved music; oh wait...then they get to watch Miley Cyrus doing a pole dance at the KIDS Choice Awards....hmmmm; better lock them in the cellar now; it's the only way to protect them form the big bad world...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:07 AM on Dec. 11, 2009

• Hell in middle school my BFF & I sat for hours and hours learning every single word to Push It; by Salt & Pepper. Her older sister asked us if we knew what it meant; we didn't; no one cared...THEY ARE JUST WORDS to kids until you put a nasty meaning behind them
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:08 AM on Dec. 11, 2009