How can I deel with my 19 month old climbing out of his crib already and hurting himself? He's too young to upt into a toddler crib but I dont want him to keep falling out of his crib

he's always been an extremly strong boy...and big, born at 10 lbs. maybe some wierd extra crib attachment?

Sania21

Asked by Sania21 at 10:56 AM on Dec. 10, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My child went in a toddlers bed that early. Hes fine he hasn't fell out or anything. I dont know of any extra bed attachment.Never heard of one.
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 10:58 AM on Dec. 10, 2009

• He's not to young for a toddler bed. It would be much safer because he won't have as far to fall. GL
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:58 AM on Dec. 10, 2009

• i dont know how his crib is set up but my son has a sleigh crib where the back is higher then the front... as crazy as this may sound i had to turn his crib so that the front faces the wall. Where the wall creates a barrier on the lower side. Good luck mama
    31angelmommy3

Answer by 31angelmommy3 at 10:58 AM on Dec. 10, 2009

• When the child can climb out of the bed it is time to change to a regular kids bed. JMO

Answer by louise2 at 11:02 AM on Dec. 10, 2009

• My son started climbing out of his crib at about 18 months. I put him in a toddler bed and have had no problems. I say put him in a toddler bed.
    Mom2Dano

Answer by Mom2Dano at 11:02 AM on Dec. 10, 2009

• I don't think that 19 months it too young for a toddler bed. If he's climbing out it's time to make the move.
    My son, 16 months, learned how to climb out this week... we plan to change his this weekend.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 11:03 AM on Dec. 10, 2009

• i, too, would suggest the transition to a toddler bed, my son was younger than that when he started sleeping in a toddler bed. but maybe a pack and play bc he wont fall as far?
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 11:07 AM on Dec. 10, 2009

• Toddler bed....or the attachable crib tent.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:08 AM on Dec. 10, 2009

• Yes I have to agree that it's time to ditch the crib. It is not about the age, it is about the stage.... keep up Mama!!! Just teasing you... I have always been a step behind too as far as their abilities etc and realizing... oh ... ok now we are on to that, I see! kind of has to hit me in the face before I catch on sometimes so I can relate. We don't always want to admit our babies are growing up, trust me, I know! Anyway, they DO have these weird nets that go over the top of cribs but I think that sounds dangerous, as is climbing out of his crib! I had to put my son in a regular bed w/rails at an early age too because he was a climber. Just safety proof his room really well and put up a baby gate in the door so he can't roam the house. Also, since you have a climber on your hands make sure you have everything bolted to the wall because mine could scale large bookshelves in a single bound! Good luck!
    momrocks1000

Answer by momrocks1000 at 11:11 AM on Dec. 10, 2009

• I know at 19 months my son was "mentally too young" also, so I think I understand what you mean. he would never had stayed in a toddler bed at that age. We were lucky that he JUST 4 days ago tried to climb out and were right there and the transistion has been almost perfect, so far.. I mean, its only been 4 days but I couldn't ask for it to have gone better. I was preparing for the worst. but since he is climbing out, you will have to put him in one, or put the mattress on the floor.. not much else you can do except try it.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 11:22 AM on Dec. 10, 2009