What do you do on christmas

This is mostly directed to the religious. What do you do on Christmas day? Do you go to church, eat food with family and open presents under the tree? Or do you go down to the food bank and help pass out food or serve food, do you go to the local shelter and give cloths and blankets out or do you visit the women shelters and give the kids there presents so they have something to open on christmas day? I saw this posted in another group and thought I would throw it out there just out of curiousity to see what people would say. I don't mean for this as drama but I am curious as to what religious people actually do on christmas. My family has been going to the shelters on christmas day now for the last 8 years so that is why I ask.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:06 AM on Dec. 10, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• We're stationed overseas, and we do pretty much the same thing that we do no matter where we're stationed (even when it's in the States). What we do is we go to church on Christmas Eve. Then on Christmas day we have presents in the morning, then we have a buffet set out, starting about mid morning and pretty much going all day (the food isn't left out all day, but people are welcome to eat all day), where we invite others - some are friends, some are single or geographic bachelors that weren't able to go home for the Holidays, or who have to work later that day - to come and eat, relax, hang out, and basically get out of the barracks for the Holiday. We also take cookies and food up to the people that are on watch on Christmas Eve and on Christmas day.

We do something similar on Thanksgiving, but sometimes it's food at our house, and sometimes it's working with others to make home made food and serve it in the barracks.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 11:14 AM on Dec. 10, 2009

• We opened presents first thing in the morning.

My two older children would go to their father's family in the afternoon and as they got older they would stay until New Years. My youngest son doesn't have a relationship with his father and he would be sad that his brothers would have to leave. I would try to do fun things with him. We go out to eat if any place was open. There are always new movies. We've gone to state parks.

I tried to make the best of the holidays. My children are now all adults and hate holidays. The two oldest hate that they had to go to their father's family and had to stay with their step mother while their father worked. The youngest hates that his brothers were ripped away. They don't blame me they hated the situation.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:15 AM on Dec. 10, 2009

• Though I do have to add, and I do NOT mean this in a drama way, but just to point out - that whether someone does charitable work on a Holiday. Not to be mean, but it seems that there are often plenty of people who want to do that... But there are hungry, cold, and abused people every day of the year...
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 11:15 AM on Dec. 10, 2009

• I have xmas at my house, we give out presents, I cook, the kids put on a show and say speeches.

I am soo looking forward to donating food and time. My kids are now still young, and honestly I want them to enjoy xmas like I did. With presents, laughter, family and food.

We do donate stuff to the church year around, so xmas is for us, my family and friends.

I am thankful for people like you, and in the near future, I will be joining you.

My kids will only be kids once, and I will soak up all my time with them now.
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 11:20 AM on Dec. 10, 2009

• Sailorwifemom - Thanks for posting that. Many people forget that. Every friday we work at the local food ministry packing and distributing food to those who need it and every month I collect baby cloths and toddler cloths from the people I work with and take it to our local women's hospital cause they support a local women's shelter and they always need baby cloths.

I was just curious if people get more of an urge to do this kind of stuff during the holidays or not.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:22 AM on Dec. 10, 2009

• Open gifts, eat a nice breakfast. Watch A Christmas Story on tv as we giggle and laugh and watch our boys play with their new gifts.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 11:58 AM on Dec. 10, 2009

• Christmas is not a religious holiday, though it has attachments of religious beliefs. The commercial aspect of Christmas is celebrated much more than the religious aspect and therefore the holiday is embraced by even the NON-RELIGIOUS.

And to answer the question on Christmas day my family opens presents and eat until we are full. Then we all enjoy games, movies, hot coco with marshmellows, and eggnog.

Anonymous

• Well, this year my mother and my nieces will be coming to stay with us for Christmas, so that's one less place we have to go to. We usually spend Christmas eve and day traveling from home to home- my mother, my father, his parents and if there is a party at another relatives house, we'll go there as well.

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 12:08 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• Varies from year to year. Some years we have church Christmas Eve, some years on Christmas morning. Not sure which is it this year. If it's that morning, we'll probably go. We'll have a quiet lunch at home, and we'll have presents with our kids thrown in somewhere - we'll see when we do it that morning, lol! We'll sit around watching movies & snacking all afternoon, then at night we get together with MIL's extended family - we sometimes sing Christmas songs (ones from the psalter hymnal, not secular ones), we pray, we eat, we do a small gift exchange (mens/womens grab bags), we chat, etc.
    Anonymous