DH is worried about DD

My husband thinks that our daughter isn't progressing fast enough, she's 5 months and isn't crawling, apparently someone told him that babys need to crawl by 6 months and walk by 12....her dr says she's doing just fine and she's healthy and happy, does anyone know of any articles that go over child development at this age so I can calm him down a bit? (this is our only child living, so that might have something to do with his worrying)

heratyc

Asked by heratyc at 11:26 AM on Dec. 10, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• lol .. who tells our hubby's these things?!! Mine came home all panicked and was like "HE doesn't know his name! They're supposed to know their name! He could be autistic! And he doesn't look me in the eye!"

I'm like "um.. he DOES know his name and he's too busy getting into everything to look anyone in the eye much. He does when he's nursing. Want me to latch him on your nipple?"

lol. Luckily my DH believes me when I tell him things. Why doesn't your DH believe you? Odd that he'd trust someone else's opinion over his wife's well-researched information and observations. Hmm.

It's abnormal for a baby to crawl at 5 months because it's rare that they do. They might be rocking at that point but usually not crawling. And, some babies NEVER crawl. It's not even a milestone. I recommend getting book Babies for Dumbies Birth to a Year. It has bad breastfeeding info but good milestone information. :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:54 AM on Dec. 10, 2009

• i'd look up milestones online. some kids develop slower in areas than others...my daughter didn't walk until she was 15 months, but started cruising at 8....so everyone is different.

babycenter.com is a good site
    sandypops

Answer by sandypops at 11:27 AM on Dec. 10, 2009

• my husband talks to those people too - the ones who tell him inaccurate information and for whatever reason he believes them instead of me... just look on line and in books and highlight information and let him read it. its been very helpful for us.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 11:28 AM on Dec. 10, 2009

• Any disgression I would ask the dr for a therapist, some can come to the house, is she rolling over yet? if not I would really get it checked. the doctor can give you a number where they have people that can work with her. sorry I forget what it was called, but I think it has different names in different states
    babygirl8302006

Answer by babygirl8302006 at 11:29 AM on Dec. 10, 2009

• The silliest thing is, I'm pretty sure the people who are telling him all this have no children, I only know of one friend of ours who has kids and they are our age....she agrees with me that little bit is doing well (she scoots around and tries to stand, but no crawling...but then again, I never really crawled either)
    heratyc

Answer by heratyc at 11:31 AM on Dec. 10, 2009

• Most babies DON'T crawl at 5 months... a few do, but it's not the norm. I would say average is between 7-10 months.. some sooner some later (some never crawl)
    My son crawled at 7 months, walked at 10 months
    My friends dd at 10 months, walked at 13 months
    My cousin never crawled went straight to walking at 10 months
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 11:32 AM on Dec. 10, 2009

• Some babies never crawl. Crawling is not a prerequisite for walking. I knew this well before I had children!
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 11:32 AM on Dec. 10, 2009

• amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 11:37 AM on Dec. 10, 2009

• my oldest brother never crawled until his younger brother was born and started crawlin 2 yrs later.

he went straight to walking.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 11:39 AM on Dec. 10, 2009

• My oldest never did crawl, she never even walked around furniture. I was sure something was wrong with her! She didn't even start with walking, she started running right before her 1st birthday! She would run from one side of her play pen to the other, it took her a few days to slow down enough to walk.
    She turned out fine.
    Anonymous