How do I get my son to let me brush his teeth?

My son will not let me brush his teeth. Does anyone have any ideas? Also, why does he have little white dots on each tooth that is whiter than the reast of the tooth.

Simple925

Asked by Simple925 at 11:37 AM on Dec. 10, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I tell my son "mommy will do it first, then you can do it" he was not having any of it at first, I would have to hold him close to me and started off with just a couple brushes then gave it to him all excited "see, that's not so bad" the next night he let me do it a little longer and each night got a little longer. I just make sure he know I need to brush his teeth before he gets to do it.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 11:39 AM on Dec. 10, 2009

• Talk kind of Baby talk.
    Say ok, we have to shop for your tooth brush, because we don't want you to get bad cavities.
    Be honest in a kids way, they eat your teeth, if you don't clean them, and they love to come at night.

Get a chart, and give him a sticker each time he lets you. As long as they don't hurt he should eventually agree to it.
    My son is 5 now he says I have to brush my teeth.
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 11:43 AM on Dec. 10, 2009

• how old is he has he been to the dentist, he may need his teeth cleaned (little white dots), for the the issue with brushing his teeth does he have a favorite cartoon character? my daughter likes dora and spongebob, they toothpaste and toothbrushes that may encourage him to brush his teeth. also im a grown woman and some toothpastes seem to "burn" my mouth because they are so strong or minty, this mybe another problem
    As for the denist issue, i think about 3 yrs old they can start seeing one, my daughters is coming up soon, lol
    babygirl8302006

Answer by babygirl8302006 at 11:43 AM on Dec. 10, 2009

• do you use toothpaste? My daughter likes to suck on the toothpaste (we use the infant stuff you can swallow). She's actually bring me the brush and tell me to put the toothpaste on so she can have it. I just tell her I have to do it first and brush them then let her have a go.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:49 AM on Dec. 10, 2009

• I gave my son a toothbrush and told him to do it himself for a while, then I'd come help him get the spots he missed. He never noticed that the "spots" were every tooth in his mouth. If I just did it, he'd get mad, scream, cry, clench his mouth shut and bite the toothbrush to keep me from moving it around. I also started with just a wet tooth brush. He HATED the taste of all toothpastes. It took me about 6 months to get him to accept a toothbrush with tooth paste on it. Most of them he would gag as soon as he tasted it. I don't remember what kind it was that he finally settled on and let me use.
    debra_benge

Answer by debra_benge at 2:23 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• i got my kids a new tooth brush they have out that plays music when you push a button on it and it plays for like 2 mins. and have them brush their teeth until the music stops or else push the button again. it makes it fun for them.
    nicki02

Answer by nicki02 at 9:06 AM on Dec. 11, 2009

• My son is a year old, so it is hard to get him to let me brush his teeth.
    Simple925

Answer by Simple925 at 11:17 AM on Dec. 11, 2009