How much milk should my son be getting a day?

I need to know how much milk my son should be getting a day? That is all he drinks. Should I be giving him water and Juice too? If so, how much and what knid of juice?

Simple925

Asked by Simple925 at 11:40 AM on Dec. 10, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• He doesn't need juice everyday - way too much sugar! Juice has less nutrients and more sugar than fruit, it's not an adequate substitute. We use juice as a "treat" maybe once or twice a week, only a few ounces mixed 50/50 with water.
    You can ask your ped about amounts, but mine said my son (13 months) should be drinking 16-20 ounces of whole milk. After that, my son drinks water. It's a good idea to get them used to drinking water at a young age so they don't refuse it when they are older.

Answer by missanc at 11:48 AM on Dec. 10, 2009

• he shouldn't be drinking it all day everyday...water is important to have, and if he's not eating fruit, he should be getting juice, like orange juice, apple juice, grape juice...things like that.
    Milk all day long is not good for him, he should be getting about 3 servings a day (1/2 c each) of milk/cheese/yogurt... (dairy)
    sandypops

Answer by sandypops at 11:43 AM on Dec. 10, 2009

• I'm assuming he is a toddler age 1-2. He needs no cow's milk. Humans do not need cow's milk.

The most dairy a child should have is two servings a day. That includes things like yogurt, ice cream, cheese, and all the other things kids eat with milk. Since kids like so many foods with milk they are probably getting too much just from food. Kids don't have to eat foods with cow's milk. They can get the nutrients milk has in other ways.

The AAP recommends 4 oz of juice to be given in a regular cup not a sippy cup.

Toddlers should drink water. No juice boxes, soda, ect.

Too much milk can cause constipation, anemia, imbalance of nutrients, and obesity. There are many reasons to minimize or eliminate the amount of milk products you use.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:48 AM on Dec. 10, 2009

• Water is a must. 2-3 sippies (6oz) of milk a day is plenty. He can have 4-6 oz of juice a day, but water it down - half water, half juice, and it must be 100% juice (apple, grape, juicy juice, but 100% - not "low sugar", "low calorie", not v8splash, just basic stuff. Orange probably isn't the best idea either - if you stick with juicy juice you'll be safe). Other than that he should be drinking all water.
    Anonymous

• Gail you are a quack and need to stop posting on here! A toddler NEEDS about 16-24 ounces of milk a day. Milk does not only provide calcium, it also provides calories, protein and vitamin A. Please stop posting such diffinitive answers without stating your source, it is quite frustrating and some ladies might actually believe what you have to say!

http://www.babycenter.com/0_cows-milk-when-and-how-to-introduce-it_1334703.bc
    Anonymous