Stupid question

If I make stir fry, do you think I can put it into the crockpot to keep it warm until dinner time? Or do you think that will majorly kill it?

Our 6yo has TKD tonight and I've gotta figure out something for dinner and have been wanting stir fy.

Thanks.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:40 AM on Dec. 10, 2009 in Food & Drink

• Not a stupid question! But I do think it would ruin the crispness of the veggies....
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 11:42 AM on Dec. 10, 2009

• yeah, it'll kill it lol
    sandypops

Answer by sandypops at 11:44 AM on Dec. 10, 2009

• Oh, I should have specified, I don't want to make it in the morning and then eat it at night, I will make the stir fry the latest I can before we have to leave for his class and leave it in the crockpot a max of an hour to an hour and a half.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:45 AM on Dec. 10, 2009

• I suppose wouldn't hurt to try, but I wouldn't put it on low, I would put it on warm.
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 11:46 AM on Dec. 10, 2009

• I am almost certain it would kill the crispiness and such. Maybe if you cook everything, but them re heat it and make it crispy when you get home that would work? Sorry, I haven't made stir fry in a really long time.
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 11:52 AM on Dec. 10, 2009

• Go for it. If nothing else, you'll know for the future if it works or not, but I think it'd be okay for that short period of time. Undercook the veggies on the stove though.
    Anonymous

• Alright, I'll give it a whirl. Thanks guys.

And yes, I will put it on WARM not LOW.
    Anonymous

• One hour won't necessarily be that bad. What you do is stop frying about 3/4 of the way through the process. So instead of reheating it, you are actually just finishing up. If the veggies you use are super fresh and crisp to begin with then you will be fine. In between, though,DON'T COVER IT with a solid lid! Use a towel, or something else that "breathes." The condensation and lack of air will affect the crispness too so keep that in mind. Now if you are using frozen, veggies or mixes, don't worry, they aren't that crisp to begin with.
    mygirlscome1st

Answer by mygirlscome1st at 12:12 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• What mygirls1s said! And keeping the heat on AT ALL for that hour isn't good. U don't have to worry about keeping it warm if you do what she did cause your gonna pick up where u left off, and FINISH it not REHEAT it. If you worry about bacteria it gets killed when you finish cooking. And meat keeps cooking even after its removed from the heat, so it should be o.k. too if it's just an hour.
    Anonymous

• Stir fry is supposed to be cooked quickly. Just slice and dice and have everything ready to cook before you go, cook it when you get home.
    Anonymous