In being a Christian is the Bible really that important?

I see moms quote scriptures a lot on here. but its not that impressive to most of us who call ourselves Christian. Or is it? wondered what you thought. i think most Christians think they can take it or leave it where the Bible is concerned. What was it writen for then?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:46 AM on Dec. 10, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I love the bible. Its a manual for your life. You can go to Barnes and Nobles and buy a self help book, or the bible! lol Also there is a great amount of information about Jesus that is very important. May I quote a scripture? 2 Tim 3: 16

Here is why I think it was written. None of us can escape death that is certain. The bible and the information it contains is our hope.
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 3:40 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• I honestly don't think that it is so super important. Think about it... if GOD is some super duper important person then why do other countries worship some other version of GOD? I am a good person and I raise my kids to be good people also. I think that is what is the most important.
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 11:50 AM on Dec. 10, 2009

• I see the bible as a guide book, whenever I have a problem or a question, I know that I can find the answers there. This book never goes out of style and is always on point with our lives. in my life it is necessary especially since it is God's word.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:53 AM on Dec. 10, 2009

• It's supposed to be very important. Back in the days before everyone went to school the reason some people in America were taught to read was so they could read the bible. The thinking was people should be able to read it themselves so the minister or other people aren't lying about what the bible says.

I think how you live your life should be most important.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:53 AM on Dec. 10, 2009

• The bible is the foundation for Christianity.  

sugahmamma

Answer by sugahmamma at 11:53 AM on Dec. 10, 2009

• I dont know why other people worship other gods, but God told us not to worship any other but Him. Its a command that we must keep.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:54 AM on Dec. 10, 2009

• The thing I find a lot with Christians, even the fundamental Christians and Bible literalists, is that they take most of the Bible seriously and as absolute truth without flaw...but as soon as someone quotes a verse they don't like, they can come up with a million reasons why that wouldn't apply today. Like Paul's messages about women for example -- women need to be quite in church, if they have questions they should wait and ask their husband at home, women should teach men and women should cover their hair while praying --- you don't see a lot of Christians taking these verse to heart --- but send those homos to hell already. So, basically, what I am trying to say, is that some Christians think the Bible important and useful when they like what it is saying, but not when they don't like what its saying..

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:58 AM on Dec. 10, 2009

• So, basically, what I am trying to say, is that some Christians think the Bible important and useful when they like what it is saying, but not when they don't like what its saying..

yup

*and as far as my mother is concerned-the bible is very important to her
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 12:27 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• I have always thought that the act of being a christian is a separate thing from the bible. IMO, we shouldn't even have the Jewish texts of the O.T. IN the bible. If you are a christian, the only thing that SHOULD matter is the N.T., which is where christianity began, after all, and where it gets its name. You waste time with the ravings of the O.T. god and his myriad of antiquated rules and strict punishments. Christianity should mean living like christ...and that's ALL it should mean.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 6:47 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• I can't speak for all people who want to call themselves Christians. But for me, the Bible is very important.

It is the word of God. If you don't read it, then you are going to be decieved into believing things that are not true. I read my Bible everyday (usually quite often throughout the day), and God uses it to speak to me in very personal ways.

When I was a new Christian I didn't know the importance of the Bible, but now that I have grown in the faith a bit, I am fully convinced that it is the absolute truth, breathed by God, that can change us supernaturally.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 6:50 PM on Dec. 10, 2009