Teen sister/ child care/ money/ aaaaggghhh!!!! LOL

Okay- here's the situation...

I have custody of my sister (16). My kids are 3 years old, and 7 months old. Very active, very sweet. My sis is great with them.

Here's the question- DO I PAY HER TO BABYSIT?

She doesn't have to do it too often. Usually just in the 2 hour overlap, between when I go to work and when my hubby gets home. I do give her cash from time to time, when she wants to go to a movie, or when she needs some clothes. And she would get an allowance if she ever did her chores. lol.
Our finances are pretty tight right now. I had been paying her, up until 2 weeks ago. (the same amount we pay any other babysitter, $3 or $4 an hour) When I told this to a friend of mine, he seemed shocked that a family member would expect money for watching the kids....

What do you think, ladies?

mama_moonsong

Asked by mama_moonsong at 11:48 AM on Dec. 10, 2009 in General Parenting

• It's one of those things that you don't have to do but it is appreciated. I speak from experiance of watching my cousins for freen until one day my uncle gave me a few bucks for doing it. He didn't do it all the time just sometimes,
    kendra1417

Answer by kendra1417 at 12:09 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• I'd pay her. Teens need some spending money.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:50 AM on Dec. 10, 2009

• Anon 11:50- That's what I thought, initially, but she got into a little trouble recently and is still not allowed to have money unless I see her spend it on something (clothes, make up, books, food, etc...). Loooong story.
    mama_moonsong

Answer by mama_moonsong at 11:55 AM on Dec. 10, 2009

• I guess I should have mentioned that in the first place.
    mama_moonsong

• If you're taking care of her every need, then no, I don't think you have to - especially if she's not doing other things you ask of her and you give her money to go out now & then.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:56 AM on Dec. 10, 2009

• My kids are 15, 13, and 8. I tell my 15 and 13 yr old that if they keep track of their hours I will pay them half of what I pay a sitter. sitters here are $10-$12 an hour. But they must keep track.

I think it would be very nice of you to pay her something. 16 yr olds need a bit of cash to help them learn to budget, have some independance, and it is simply nice to buy a little treat now and then when you are so young.

Yes she is family... so if finances are tough she will understand.
    Anonymous