My daughter is 7 months old; I have a question about her shots and a temp. (Please no bashing or anti shot people I really don’t care, This is our families choice not yours.)

She got her regular shots yesterday and also the swine flu shot. She did great yesterday is still fine to she is happy and playful. She felt a bit warm just a bit ago so I took her temp rectally it was 100.5 so minus 1 degree it is 99.5. Her dr said to let her know if she gets a temp over 100. I am guessing because of the flu shot. I am just wondering, 1) Is the rectal temp a better one to take? 2) Should we worry or take her in with it just getting close to 100 or should we just wait and see IF it gets over 100?

Mrs.Owen86

Asked by Mrs.Owen86 at 11:56 AM on Dec. 10, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• This sounds like a normal reaction to the shots. I'm surprised the Dr said to call if it was over 100, that is pretty low. I would not give tylenol unless it got really high and/or baby was really miserable. The fever is the body's immune system working.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 12:15 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• Rectal is most accurate. I was never told to subtract a degree that way though, so I'd probably be on the phone.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:58 AM on Dec. 10, 2009

• FYI your baby can run a temp after almost any shot you give her. Not just the flu shot.
    I would follow whatever advise your doctor suggested.
    I don't know about the rectal temp thing or not. sorry.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 11:59 AM on Dec. 10, 2009

• I would wait til it got over 100. you can still give her tylenol or motrin to keep it under control, but if she continues to have a fever take her to the doc for sure.
    take a rectal if you want to double check. I always did with our kiddos...for accuracy.
    Anonymous

Oh ya I know she can. She just has never had a temp before with any shots that is why I am assuming it was the flu shot. But thank you :)

I would wait til it got over 100. you can still give her tylenol or motrin to keep it under control, but if she continues to have a fever take her to the doc for sure.

I took it twice it only changed in .1 so instead of it being 100.5 it was 100.4

I have not given her Tylenol yet thank you for reminding me :)
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 12:02 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• 100.5 is not even a fever. unless sheis under 3 mts. she is already above 6 mts. that temp is now normal body temperraure
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 12:05 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• Her dr had said to let her know if it got over 100 that is why I asked. I usually dont really worry til 102
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 12:12 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• Rectal temp is most accurate and I agree with PP that 100 isn't a fever. My dd always got a fever the day after her shots - or to clarify would be somewhere above 100 (100.2 or so). I would monitor her temp and if it doesn't get to 101 and goes down before tonight I wouldn't worry. Good luck!
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 12:13 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

OK thanks. They usually say about 102 or 103 to let them know. I again was assuming tha tsince it was the flu shot that they wanted to know LOL again Im not sure but that would be my guess.
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 12:20 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• I would wait but monitor her closely. My daughter got swine flu and her temp was low grade and she had tylenol and work up with a temp of 105. She looked horrible. I took her right in and they took her ahead of everyone else waiting. I'm not trying to scare you or say that's what it is, I am just saying monitor her VERY closely.
    dolphinz1923

Answer by dolphinz1923 at 12:37 PM on Dec. 10, 2009