for sahms who choose to sah until the last is in college

What would you do?

Hubby's hr director offered me a job from 10-2 in the field I used to work. I would be making an ok amount of money. We do not need the extra income - but honestly extra money is always nice. It could go straight into the college funds, or into a vacation fund. Hubby was fine with me hiring housekeepers since I wouldnt be home to do the house work. It is during school hours, it would be fun to work again.... but what about summers? what if someone gets sick? what about the kid's school events? what about volunteering in the class rooms?

ugh... think I just answered my own question. I guess even though I would really enjoy it, I would miss what I was giving up MORE than the pleasure I would get from the work.

oh well........ ill leave this up for an hour or so to see what other sahm's in my possition would say.... then Ill take it down.... because I think just typing this answered my q

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:56 AM on Dec. 10, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I am a SAHM. My sister is a working mom. I am NOT bashing working moms when I say this, because I truly believe we all have to do what's best for our own families.

But - for me, I think I have a different perspective than a lot of people. I had some serious medical stuff go on when I was in my early / mid 20's. My kids were 2 and 3 during the worst of it, and, frankly, the Drs thought I wasn't going to live very long. Now, that was over a decade ago, and I thank God that I am alive today to see my kids grow up and to grow old with my dh - well, we're not old yet, but we're def. old-ER ;-)

The thing is, for me, I figure, there is plenty of time for me to go back to work, etc, when my kids are grown (they're in h.s. but I do a lot of volunteering with their school and various things - some for them, some not). And, if there ISN'T that time later.... well, this is what I would rather be doing with what I've got.

kwim?
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 12:12 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• I'm a sahm and a pt student. Although its not work I do go to school for about 15 hrs a wk. I do miss my DD when I'm gone but know that she's safe @ home. I see it like this, I have to be happy with myself, my accomplishments need to be met in order for me to be truly happy. Me going to school is not hurting my DD and is helping me reach my goals. So I say if your happy with your life and don't feel ad if you need to do something for yourself then stay home if you'd like. But if you feel a void then maybe you can try work for a while and then decide if you want to conitinue. Either way its ok.
    ProudMammaMia

Answer by ProudMammaMia at 12:12 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• thank you sailorwifenmom I think that I agree that this is where I rather be now.

Proudmammamia I do feel a small void that is true... but I guess I have to decide is that void worth giving up the time with my kids.... Im leaning towards no. I wish I could "try" it out but it is actually hubby's company and I would never make him look bad by taking a job and then quiting. LOL - Im kind of stuck in that respect... it is either take it on a perminate basis or not at all.

thanks for your time ladies.
    Anonymous

• I see nothing wrong with a part time job
    whistlemom3

Answer by whistlemom3 at 10:15 PM on Dec. 10, 2009