Need some ideas for hosting xmas eve dinner for the first time!

i decided to five my mother inlaw a break this year and do xmas eve dinner myself...and i was wondering if any of you ladies have some ideas for making it tasty and fun?! Im a little nervous, including dh and i there will be 8 ppl. I kinda know what i wanna make for dinner but some other ideas would be great, or any other things to do besides eat :D Thanks!

BellaBean23

Asked by BellaBean23 at 11:57 AM on Dec. 10, 2009 in Holidays

• Ham or roast (can have holiday meatballs in a crockpot too)
    Mashed or twice baked potatoes
    Green Beans or a veggie you all like
    Salad-something fancy
    an appetizer..shrimp cocktail, cheeseball, dip served in a hollowed out bread bowl.

Check allrecipes.com for good ideas
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 12:01 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• in my family it was always tradition to have potato soup and oyster soup. and then we would have breads and butter and random horderves (sp?) like cheese ball/crackers, olives, bread/cheese, california rolls (a fam thing lol ) .
    in recent years we've added chicken noodle soup and brie cheese.
    Anonymous

• My family always did some sort of italian dish like lasagna or cavatini. This year my mom is making stuffed shells. She also does "pick food" : cheese, bologna, chips, pretzels, stuff like that to hold us all off until dinner is ready.
    Born2BAMommy5

Answer by Born2BAMommy5 at 12:12 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• Serve cheese, crackers, and a sausage
    Chips, and a yummy dip
    Veggies and a ranch dip
    For dinner make a unique veggie casserole, it will go further than just a bowl of veggies, cole slaw.
    I would slow cook a roast with gravy and mashed potatoes. Have some dinner rolls with real butter.
    Serve some eggnog, and for dessert a pecan pie, and maybe a chocolate pie w/whip cream for the kiddos
    That's what I would serve, actually probably what I will serve,lol..
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 12:12 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• Deviled eggs are always a hit as well as egg rolls.

Don't forget some nice soft holiday music in the background.
    Anonymous

• Its pretty common that on Christmas Eve people in Texas have a tex mex dinner. Serve enchildas, tamales, beans and rice, nachos the works. Its cheap, easy and a ton of fun. Christmas day we always have the traditional food so its a nice mix up. We buy a pinata from www.partycity.com and let the kids break it. Put on music and have a great time.
    Anonymous

• Here is what I will probably be serving:

Devilled eggs, crackers, and cheese for appetizers

Baked ham (with my own special glaze, ask if you want the recipe)
    Twice baked potatoes
    sweet potato casserole
    corn
    brussels sprouts (fresh steamed with browned butter)
    rolls
    pecan pie
    apple crisp
    brownies or cookies
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 10:33 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• Well, I had the same nervous feeling the first time I hosted too. I am sure it will go great, but have a few "back up ideas"
    1. Like a great family christmas movie to put on when everyone starts winding down for the night.
    2. Maybe even a bottle of wine for the older company to enjoy.
    3. craft: let the kids make "reindeer food" to sprinkle out side for santa. OR track santa on his way on the internet. (you can even call the elf to ask when to go to bed. LOL)

another trick: clean out your frig before hand and have plenty of disposable tupperware. This makes cleaning up the leftovers easy to stuff in the frig or for your company to take a "to-go" plate.

Have fun and take lots of pics. Oh, and when something doesn't go exactly like your mother-in -laws house IT IS OK!! because it isn't her house!
    Skyler11978

Answer by Skyler11978 at 9:15 AM on Dec. 11, 2009

• I always do christmas eve at my house and we just make a bunch of appetizers and desserts. I usually do meatballs in the crock pot, sausage toast, buffalo chicken dip, stuffed mushrooms, stuffed pizza loaf, crab and shrimp dip with crackers and then cookies, fudge and watergate salad. Hope this helps.
    indymom3boys

Answer by indymom3boys at 5:45 PM on Dec. 15, 2009

• We also do heavy appetizers and cold veggie tray.
    Julie411me

Answer by Julie411me at 7:47 PM on Dec. 15, 2009