5 yr old and problems with teacher

I am soo fed up with my son's teacher right now. I have had nothing but problems with her since day one. He is in kindergarten and everytime there is an event in his class non of the parents are invited! I have offerend to come in and help and she said NO.even though the school has an open door policy. She said at his 9 week meeting that he is doing great, that he is very advanced just has a problem in not wanted to read words or sound them out. He does it find at home. Anyway got a email from her today saying that she just realize that he just turned 5 in aug. and that me might not be developmentaly ready for what she is teaching in class. I thank it is BS because that is the only issue he is having.. She is such a rude and very strict person. I never have seen her smile, even at the kids she glars all the time. I am thinking of pulling him out of that school and just taking him to a different one. I think if he just .. cont.

randilinn

Asked by randilinn at 12:02 PM on Dec. 10, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• switched classes that I would still have a problem because all them teachers work together.. am i overreacting or what? Thanks in advance!
    randilinn

Answer by randilinn at 12:03 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• It would be difficult for him if you switched mid-year. You may run into bad teachers many years and you can't be switching teachers or schools.

Consider homeschooling. It only takes an hour or two a day to equal a public school education. Much of the time in school is spent waiting in line and other down time. When you homeschool you work at your child's pace. Some states have homeschooling all set up online for parents if they want to use it.

School may not be required until children are 7 in your state, that's the age in many states. You could just take him out of school with no problem and not have to worry about homeschooling right away.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:11 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• Have you talked to the principal? I would ask the teacher, then the administrator, why the school's open door policy is being ignored. I would also question the teacher as to why she wasn't concerned about his development until she noticed the birthday. Moving him might help even though the teachers work together. I've been on teams with teachers I couldn't stand. So even though the team appears unified it doesn't mean they all agree with this teacher.

maxswolfsuit

Answer by maxswolfsuit at 12:13 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• Switch teachers, but don't get offended.

You are talking to the wrong person, tell her how you feel in a nice and polite way. Set up a meeting, there could be reason, she might have helpers, she might not need you-don't take it too personal.
    Tell her, you insist in helping or perticipating in some kind of school activities, what I found through out the years is my kids handle situations better when I am not around. I mean in school and stuff.
    I helped but by sending in food, and goody bags, or when ever I was really needed.

School is not like it use to be, and sometimes to lient teachers don't help the kids. .

Then if you are still unhappy, switch, you have a right too.
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 12:14 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• I guess if you think it's that bad switch him... I would do it over christmas break.
    But I would bet it will be very stressful for him and he might have more difficulties switching because he will have been learning different things probably then he will in another classroom which might mean is bored because he already knows it or behind because he hasn't.
    Personally I would go in and talk to her and see what is going on, find out why she thinks he's not ready and see what you can do for him to make him more ready.
    I think that a lot times it's hard for the parent to see things clearly because it's their own child and everyone thinks their child is very intelligent and mature and perfect (or whatever) But think that *most* teachers (not all) know what they are talking about.
    But there are some teachers that just suck and shouldn't be teaching!
    So again go talk to her, with an open mind, and see what she has to say.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 12:18 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• It is hard to switch mid-year. I would take this to the principal. How old is the teacher (generally speaking) Im just curious. I'm a teacher and would never run my classroom like this. For her saying she just realized he turned 5 and not developmentally ready sounds like a complete contradiction to what she said at the conferences. I would ask her to clarify. Some 5 yo are ready and some are not. The ones I would generally say are not "ready", are the ones who are STRUGGLING. If he's not struggling then hello, what's her beef? Also, she should remember that it's just December and sounding out words in December for a Kindergartener who is 5 is a hard task, heck it's hard for some 1st graders. (I student taught in K) The school year is not over. He's doing fine at home...I would tell her thanks for the info, but I think he's doing fine (if you feel that way) but ask her to clarify lots of things! HTH
    kylesmom2007

Answer by kylesmom2007 at 12:19 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• OP herer.. Thank you for your thoughts.. all! The teacher is not much older than me if not the same age and I am 27 in schools he was a grade ahead of me but I was older than pretty much my class! Anyway, that was my exact question is how the age thing comes up now just because he is having trouble in one section. I talk with the teacher every day to see how he is doing in school, we write email. We don't care for each other at all and had a fight about 3 weeks ago and that seems to be when his acting up started! She even said he was doing awsome in school, so now he has a problem and she just wants to pass him off! I really think she is just trying to get him out of her class so she doesn't have to deal with me.
    randilinn

Answer by randilinn at 12:29 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• Talk to the principal. I highly doubt they will switch classes at this point in the school year. I wouldn't worry about the reading and sounding out of words, a lot of kids don't accomplish that until the end of Kindergarten or even into 1st grade. He should be sounding out letters though.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 2:24 PM on Dec. 10, 2009