If you are Catholic, Do you eat

pork, the bible says you should not. I never knew that.

I am reading the bible alot lately.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:08 PM on Dec. 10, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• If you are Christian do you eat meat? The bible says you should NOT...
    sugahmamma

Answer by sugahmamma at 12:10 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• Is it in the Old Testament? I have heard we aren't bound by Old Testament laws anymore, but we also arent guarateed Old Testament promises anymore cause we are under the new law.

Interesting cant wait to see the answers you get!
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 12:10 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• lol @ first post, Catholics ARE Christians.
    Anonymous

• During Lent you are also not supposed to eat meat on Friday's.
    Anonymous

• You ignore the pork law in the OT, but follow the no meat on Friday's during Lent law that's not even in the Bible. Go figure...
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 12:33 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• the catholic bible and the baptist bible are different
    Anonymous

• Point made
    sugahmamma

Answer by sugahmamma at 12:41 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• I'm not catholic, but we don't eat much pork - has nothing to do with the Bible though, but a story some friends told us (I do believe it stems from the Bible, I have never searched it out for myself). It's all about the "cleanliness" of the pigs.
    Anonymous

• Acts 10 Explains all of this. God had Told Peter that he could eat unclean meat. To go out to all the four corners of the earth to preach. That's just a thumb nail the whole Chapter needs to be read. As for the Fish on Fridays that's a discipline. So some of us don't eat Flesh on Fridays while others may make a conscience  effort to do something for someone else. It's our own private practice to remind us of Christs ultimate sacrifice.

oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 1:36 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• Yes I eat pork, and I read the bible too. We are bound by the moral law, but not by the ceremonial law in the Old Testament. For instance, about the ritual cleaning of the hands, Jesus said, "It is not what enters one's mouth that defiles that person; but what comes out of the mouth is what defiles one." (Matthew 15:11) and "Do you not realize that everything that enters the mouth passes into the stomach and is expelled into the latrine? But the things that come out of the mouth come from the heart, and they defile. For from the heart come evil thoughts, murder, adultery, unchastity, theft, false witness, blasphemy. These are what defile a person, but to eat with unwashed hands does not defile." (Matthew 15:17-20).
    LibbyLife

Answer by LibbyLife at 1:51 PM on Dec. 10, 2009