Taking a road trip with babies...I need tips and suggestions......!!!!

So were going to be going on a road trip from KY to SC to FL to NY with a 3 year old, and a 1 year old. Has anyone taken trips like this and if so any suggestions on activities, or what to bring???? ANy help would be awesome!!

TuckyGirl

Asked by TuckyGirl at 12:13 PM on Dec. 10, 2009 in Travel

• I drove by myself from WV to FL with my 21 month old and almost 2 month old. It. Was. Hell. - My 21 month old had a hard time. Ahem. Bring PLENTY of toys and snacks and drinks. Even buy a few new little toys/books. Make sure to bring their comfort items. Take breaks when necessary. What really helped when she was getting really tired of the car and wanted to get out was just talking with her. Telling her about what we were doing and where we going and stuff - it completely quieted her down. LOTS OF LUCK TO YOU!
    SandraB383

Answer by SandraB383 at 12:27 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• We drove from NC to NY. NC to GA. NC to tn. My son is almost 2 he loves cars. So we brought cars and trains. I would bring picture books with me. If you have a portable dvd player and they have a fav movie I would bring that.
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 12:15 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• Portable potty, a kids potty with lots of disposable bags, and so on.
    wipes, for both, hands and potty ones. you don't want your 3 year old using the ones in the stations, and sometimes they have to go unexpected.

sticky pads and crayons, let them draw pics and stick them on the windows. Cooler with drinks and snacks, it is so much cheaper.
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 12:27 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• We dorve from Nc to GA. I brought a few small toys (she was 12 months) for the ride. I sit in the back and kept her company.
    We also drove from nc to Ks. We were moving to ks so we brought everything we owned. But bringing snacks and dinks is much better then having to keep stopping at stores and it is cheaper in the long run.. And My dd did tend to cry because she hated riding for so long. Good Luck.
    mimi_emc2

Answer by mimi_emc2 at 1:49 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• We drove from MA to IL. It was a 22 hour drive. The kids were 23 months and 3 months at the time. We brought snacks, water bottles, the baby's bottles...of course we had to stop every hour or two to change their diapers. We also brought a portable DVD player to hang on the back of the seat so our 23 month old could watch spongebob.
    michellelee3708

Answer by michellelee3708 at 3:51 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• Either a potty you can take w/ you or seat covers for the nasty gas stations along the way. Games to keep them interested. Lots of snacks & juice in a cooler, take some food for you & hubby too. A little benadryl or alcohol never hurt either!!!! I'm JUST KIDDING!!!!!!
    Anonymous

• My parents drove with four girls (all under the age of five at one point) from FL to Indiana every year (sometimes twice).
    Google "Road Trip Activity Bags". There are some really great ideas.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 1:48 PM on Dec. 14, 2009