Low Cost Meal Recipe Needed for 25 people!!!

Okay ladies, I really need some help on this one. I have been looking through various recipe sites, trying to find a good recipe for a low budget. I would like a recipe that has been tried and tested, and has been given a thumbs up on taste. Every recipe I thought would work in the following criteria, was not tested, so I don't want to take any chances.
-Serves at least 20-25 people
-low budget
-warm & comforting meal
-somewhat easy to make, nothing fancy or gourmet
-casserole style

I am bringing a dinner to 3 families that are living at our local Ronald McDonald House (home for families who have a child(ren) in the hospital receiving medical care). Total number of people I need to feed is 22, including my own family. We will be eating with the other families.

Anyone have any great recipes that are pretty cheap to make but still taste great? Thank you for your input! Much appreciated!

THANK YOU EVERYONE!!!

AnimalsLady

Asked by AnimalsLady at 12:13 PM on Dec. 10, 2009 in Food & Drink

• chili, lasagna, stew

???

good luck
    Anonymous

• Pasta with Pink sauce, and sauges sliced on the bottom. ummm ummm good.

all you need is pasta, tomatoe sauce, milk or (heavy cream) butter.
    Pasta 3 boxes, or 4
    2 or 3 cans of 16oz tomatoe sauce
    Add milk and butter, garlic powder-ummmm ummm good.
    Optional-
    2-loaf of italian bread.
    bulk sausage, brown and slice sausage and layered on the bottom or mix it.-Sometimes I throw in cooked brocolli umm umm

You can get all this for under 20.00 the way I shop under 15.00. :)
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 12:22 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• Spaghetti casserole - get foil pans, spray with cooking spray. Cook spaghetti noodles according to directions. When done, drain, and mix in 2 eggs & 1/4 cup parmesan cheese per pound of pasta (uncooked weight). Place in pan(s). (I do 1lb for 6 of us in a 9x13 pan, and we have about 1/3 leftover). Cook meat of your choice, drain & place over pasta. Pour favorite (or cheapest) spaghetti sauce over (I use 1-2 lbs hamburger and 1.5 jars of sauce). Sprinkle with 8oz shredded mozzerella cheese. Cover with foil and bake an hour or so at 350.

Serve with garlic bread (homemade, buy it, whatever) and a green salad (chop heads if head are cheaper than bagged mix, shred a couple carrots, chop up a couple cucumbers, slice some radishes, whatever salad veggies look good and don't cost much) with a couple dressing options.

Brownies, cake, cookies, something simple, for dessert.
    Anonymous

• Turkey tetratrazinni! chicken and dumplings, mostacholi, Jambalya red beans N Rice, pulled pork is still pretty inexpensive and easy. ,anything that streches meat like a pasta, rice or potatoes and nothing really green (like broccli) because the color changes when held.
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 1:02 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• Scalloped potatoes & ham
    lasagna
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 1:24 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• You are doing a great thing!!!

daniellecooks.wordpress.com

I have tons of budget meals and do-ahead meals that you can make this week and take the next. Word of warning, I used to volunteer at the Ronald McDonald house and they had a lot of spaghetti brought to them.

I have a chicken gumbo recipe that is easy and tasty-- serve over rice. You can make it in advance and freeze it.

ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 2:25 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• MEXICAN BEANS AND PASTA BAKE
    1 med. onion, chopped
    1 clove garlic, chopped
    2" segment hot chili pepper, minced or 1/4 tsp. cayenne
    1 tbsp. chili powder
    1 qt. undrained canned diced tomatoes
    1 tsp. oregano
    1/2 tsp. cumin
    1 c. uncooked whole wheat elbow macaroni or other pasta broken into pieces
    3/4 c. frozen or canned corn
    3/4 c. diced zucchini
    3 c. cooked pink or black beans (or two cans)
    1/2 c. sliced black olives
    1 c. broken taco shells or tortilla chips
    1 c. shredded Jack cheese or cheese of your choice

In a skillet coated with non-stick cooking spray (I use olive oil) sauté onion, garlic and hot pepper for about 3 minutes to soften. Add chili powder and cook briefly. Add tomatoes, oregano and cumin and bring to a boil. Add pasta, corn and zucchini and simmer 15 minutes until pasta is just tender. Stir in beans and olives. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.

cont.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:02 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Transfer bean mixture to a shallow 2 quart casserole. Top with taco shells or tortilla chips and cheese. Bake for 10 minutes to melt cheese. If casserole is assembled in advance and chilled, increase baking time to 20 minutes or until heated through. Top with sour cream at the table.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:03 PM on Dec. 10, 2009