Christmas presents

Have you ever gone a christmas and not gotten anything but your hubby and kids got gifts?
This happened to me on DD's first christmas. DH and I agreed not to get each other anything which was fine but when we got to the MIL/FILs place, everyone got a gift from them except me. SIL/BIL, their kids, my daughter and my hubby but not me. MILs reason was that DH told her that I suggested that we just focus on our daughter and so she assumed that I did not want anything.

kittymom

Asked by kittymom at 12:15 PM on Dec. 10, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Thats a pathetic excuse from the mil. If she really believed that than she shouldn't have bought your hubby anything. Do you get a long with her?
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 12:17 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• this hasnt happened to me... but ever since i met my husband.. when christmas eve rolled around his fam would exchange gifts... and when we were dating some of his aunts and uncles would give me a small gift. anyways... after gifts were distrbuted my husbands mom or sister would come gather the gifts and say they were putting them in the car... after that i would never see mine again. isnt that messed up??? haha. but i didnt care then... and i dont need to worry about it anymore bc were married and any gifts i am given go in our car :)
    Anonymous

• Armywife2009101 - We get along ok. I would not say we are best friends but we are not enemies either. MIL reminds me a lot of the mom Edith on the Bunkers - now I am dating myself lol. She means well but there are times you wonder where her brains are. Hubby laughs because she got her Masters degree a few years back and he said that to get her degree she had to give up some common sense brain cells lol. After that happened, every year she will call me directly and ask me if we are doing gifts for the adults - just to double check.
    kittymom

Answer by kittymom at 12:24 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• Yes that has been happening for years. Not just with my husband but everyone. I am use to it and I dont expect anything from anyone anyways
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 12:28 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• That is just rude no matter the excuse. If someone says they don't want something but everyone else does then you at least give them a card and a little something to feel included. 

DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 12:36 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• No, that has never happend to me. My parents and my SO's parents are both VERY generous and they make sure that it is fair. My parents have 5 kids, all of them have SO's of some sort and ALL of them get gifts every year, no matter what was said. My SO and I always say we aren't going to get anything for each other, but we always end up getting stuff "from the baby". That is RUDE of your MIL and I would not be happy.
    Anonymous

• Yikes. No, even the Christmas we were only dating I got a gift from the "ILs" (we weren't even engaged, and had only been dating 2 months - but were serious!). Even though we're cutting back on both sides of the family, we're still all guaranteed at least one gift at all Christmas gatherings (hubby's side - $10 women's grab bag, my side we drew names - but no gift from the ILs most likely and already got our gift from my folks). Doesn't/won't bother me - gives me more time to take pictures of my kids, lol!
    Anonymous