my sons bday misses the kindergarden enrollment age by 8 days. Is there anything I can do about it?

STEPHEEVERS

Asked by STEPHEEVERS at 12:22 PM on Dec. 10, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• You can jump for joy.

I think it is much better to hold back a boy and have him the oldest in the class. I have a middle school boy and a high school girl... and I thank God that they are on the older side of the spectrum. To see the younger ones at this age fumble around is not fun. Not all children but some of the younger ones have a much harder time with peer pressure and keeping up with the sports.

Dont worry about it......... enjoy one more year of your baby being home with you!
    Anonymous

• Just enjoy him for another year...without homework. Maybe he will be better for it. More mature.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:24 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• It is recommend that they are held back until next year, he would end up being the youngest in his class and this can ended up being a big problem in the future
    PsychMommie

Answer by PsychMommie at 12:28 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• I agree with the PP. the same thing happened to me. My mom said she was really glad I had that extra year and with that extra year of working with me I went into school a little bit ahead. And in high school I was one of hte first people to get my drivers license and to turn 18 too! :)
    jedwards2009

Answer by jedwards2009 at 12:29 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• They might except him being it is only 8 days. They can test him, if you feel he is ready. If he does well on the test they will except him. So I heard, call the board of education in your area.

All four of my kids are a year behind because of there birthday being over 30 days after the dead line. They were all ready though. I didn't know about the testing until a friend told me, but then it was too late.
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 12:31 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• Try a private school.
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 12:33 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• I beg you not to look in the short term - kinder first second.

being the youngest is a huge issue once they are middle and high school.

do you really want to send a 17 yr old off to college?

give him the extra year... it can not hurt a thing. You can suppliment his education this year at home.
    Anonymous

• Nope, they have the cutoffs for a reason. Put him in when he's age appropriate.
    Anonymous

• Better late than early! Be thankful.
    Anonymous

• IF you feel your child is ready; then call your local school board and have him tested. IF you feel he's not quite ready then don't fret and keep him home.

Ignore the nervous nellies above. Being the youngest in the class isn't going to cause any long term harm; holy cow! It's EIGHT DAYS; what are you talking about sending 17 yr olds to college as if she's talking about sending a 3yr old to kindergarten?

Granted this was back in the day; but my birthday is in Nov. And I tested ready to start school when I was 4 yrs old; turning 5; three months later - no harm done; I wasn't picked on; I didn't feel 'left out'; etc...no damage done. I graduated in June of 1994 and turned 18 in Nov of 1994; ooohhhh big deal...

Anonymous