COOKING KIDS

My 13 yo son is taking HomeEc (which in the PC 21st century is called Culinary Challenges) this year & is enjoying the class-so much so that he has taken over cooking dinner 2 or 3 nights a week. Do your kids take home ec? Do they help with the cooking

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:32 PM on Dec. 10, 2009 in Food & Drink

• well my son is only 4 yo but he insists on frying the egg every morning 'by himself' which of course means helping me out, but he also likes to help bake and stuff too. i'm really looking forward to when he's a teen and can cook dinner for his dear old momma!
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 12:36 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• My kids aren't old enough, and currently the high school that they will attend when it's time doesn't have home ec (I attended a different school and took it, and we have no other choice for a high school), so I don't know if they'll be able to take it or not. They do help out in the kitchen a little here & there, and our oldest neice wants to be a home ec teacher (she's out of college but wasn't able to take all the classes for teaching home ec, she's going to finish it in the future and teach regular school in the meantime) so if worse comes to worse, I know she'll be more than willing to teach them or help us teach them when they're that age.
    Anonymous

• I've been teaching my kids how to use the kitchen since they were young children. They are now 9, 11 and 12 and are capable of cooking complete meals with minimal supervision and often make 1 to 2 meals each week. They prefer skillet meals or casseroles, nothing too complicated yet. My 9 yo dd is learning to decorate cakes. My 20 year old son has always liked to cook and makes pies and more complicated meals.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 1:27 PM on Dec. 10, 2009