?

Rational arguments don't usually work on religious people. Otherwise, there wouldn't be religious people.
Doris Egan, House M.D., The Right Stuff, 2007

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:35 PM on Dec. 10, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I doubt if the quote refers to only christians. It was muslims who flew two airplanes into the twin towers, killing hundreds of innocent people for no logical or discernible reason. All religion is illogical. All religion requires a follower to believe, without question, in that which they KNOW inside themselves cannot be true...or proven. Faith is called "blind" faith for a reason.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 6:27 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• Well, even though I'm sure this doesn't apply to ALL religious people, I think in general, this comment is right on target.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 12:56 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• wow you managed to piss some one off.
    PsychMommie

Answer by PsychMommie at 1:00 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• And the question is......
    Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 1:11 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• I totally agree with OP and the quote.
    BeaMoore

Answer by BeaMoore at 2:33 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• I wonder what form of religious he is referring to. Usually they only mean Christian.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 3:12 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• Religion is strictly a logical process, or it would be science. However, there is rational thought involved with belief. So if you are trying to prove a belief you may find both logic and faith. So I would amend the statement to say that in matters of faith strictly rational arguments will not be sufficient to persuade people of faith.  

Outstanding love- I don't see the comment aimed at Christianity.  You can't prove the existence of Allah (my appologies if that is spelled wrong),  or the pagan gods/goddesses, either. 

Op- I would be interested to hear the original context of the comment. 

teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 4:15 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• I have logic but also faith and faith isn't something you can explain to someone who doesn't have it.
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 5:03 PM on Dec. 10, 2009