I have a 9-month-old daughter who was always a very good eater, but now that I started her on finger foods, she just refuses to eat anything other than bread and fruits. What do you feed your babies? How did you introduce finger foods??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:37 PM on Dec. 10, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 12:41 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• does she have teeth to chew with?
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 12:50 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• We started out with "soft" foods, like cherrios, and they have the "cracker" like things by gerber, they have walmart brands, too. My DD was NOT picky at all, though, she eats everything.
    Anonymous

• At that age, my son loved whole wheat pasta (I would make the rotini so it was easy for him to pick up), pieces of carrots and potatoes steamed soft, pieces of banana or avocado, Gerber yogurt melts, etc But fruits are a definite favorite! I just try to give him a really wide variety of all different fruits and I always give him his fruit for "dessert" so I make sure he eats his veggies first.

Answer by missanc at 12:56 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• As long as she's getting the recommended formula or breast milk I wouldn't worry about what she is 'eating' until she goes on whole milk. Along with that, it's probably just a phase, just keep offering other things and be happy that she at least wants the fruit
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 1:02 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• How do you introduce finger foods? Just put them in front of baby on the tray!
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 2:43 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• be patient, sometimes babies and kids alike go thru stages where they only want to eat certain things. Be happy - at least she wants fruits!! just keep introducing things, but don't press it too much. Try to give what you are eating and see how it goes. My 8 month old DD will eat about anything put in front of her, but we do still use some jarred baby foods and not all finger foods. She also likes to try to use the spoon by herself, so I'll let her hold on to it and take it to her mouth, she doesn't always get the food to her mouth, but it's practice for doing it anyway. Good Luck!
    kicknscreamn222

Answer by kicknscreamn222 at 3:06 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• She shouldn't be having wheat before her first birthday - it is an allergy trigger food.

Give her vegetables before anything else.

Lots of great information here: www.babyledweaning.com and here: www.superbabyfood.com

Answer by rkoloms at 3:42 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• We did canned veggies and beans, they are soft and easy to pick up. the gerber things are good for snacks. Anything that you can over cook to make it soft is good. If she has already tried the jared version then the real one shoudl be fine.
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 5:12 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• Thank you so much all of you for your tips. It's been a challenge to feed her these new foods now. I'm going to try your suggestions. Tonight I mashed some potatoes and meat and spread out on bread. She liked it!! lol but I don't want to be giving her bread every day.
    Thank you so much again!!
    xoxo
    analuizan

Answer by analuizan at 7:28 PM on Dec. 10, 2009