When can my baby start table food?

She's 7 months so she may still be a little young.She doesn't seem to care for baby food.She stares at our food like she really wants to try it.What are some safe options i can try that she won't choke on?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:50 PM on Dec. 10, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Pretty much anything that you can puree or really mash up. Don't do anything that a lot of kids are allergic to (nuts of any sort, etc.) I wouldn't start for another month at least, but by 9 months my LO was eating regular food.
    Anonymous

• You never need to feed a baby jarred baby food. You can start with mashed potatoes, mashed sweet potatoes, banana, etc. My kids were completely on table food by 8 months. Just start out with the mushy stuff and then gradually build up to thicker stuff until she is on small pieces. Also, make sure that you don't salt/sugar your food while you're cooking, or take out what you're going to feed her before you do. You can buy a food chopper if it makes it easier on you.

Answer by missanc at 12:54 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• Go here for excellent info on letting the baby cue you: http://www.borstvoeding.com/voedselintroductie/blw/engels.html

Babis can eat regular food. The jarred stuff is overpriced and generally not at all tatey with weird texture.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 1:04 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• My youngest stopped eating baby food when she was 5 months old. I guess she didn't like the texture. I started giving her vegetables and fruits that were cooked soft enough and cut into small pieces. Of course I would only gie her one piece at a time, but it gave her some independence and she loved it. She eats her fruits and vegetables better this way. What I am saying is, it depends on when your baby is ready. Try giving her a little and she will show you whether she is ready for it or not. Don't be surprised if she doesn't eat it. Some babies love table food and others don't.
    krissyvelazquez

Answer by krissyvelazquez at 1:58 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• "Babies who are ready for solids can usually feed themselves. Mothers often report that they knew their babies were ready when they picked up food from a plate, chewed it, swallowed it, and wanted more."
    Anything soft and small baby can't choke on. Soft baby bite sized pieces of sweet potato, bits of soft chicken you squish between your fingers, soft steamed veggies, cherrios etc. Just put some on her tray and see what she does!
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 2:42 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• My DD is 8 months and has been eating table food for 2-3 months now! We still do baby food too, but she eats small bits of ground beef, chicken, turkey, and ham and just about any cooked vegatable, fruits, crackers, some cereals, bread and does just fine! She LOVES to chew on pizza crust - I think it helps with her teething.
    kicknscreamn222

Answer by kicknscreamn222 at 3:02 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• You can mush it up and give it to her. It's much cheaper than baby food from the store!
    fallnangel3

Answer by fallnangel3 at 3:06 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• Right now. Mash what you're eating.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:03 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• I started my oldest at 6 month with cereal by 9 months she refused it all and insistted on table food. So I over cooked her food, so it was a bit soft. She was happy and well feed. I did get her to eat yogurt that had infant cereal. My oldest at a year was still in #3 jars. It wasn't until about 16 months that she really got interested in table food So when ever your child is ready. Kids are good at telling what they are willing to eat. Or at least mine are.  And canned foods are generally soft but pick up able.  Also Beech Nut makes a chunky baby food.  I found it helped my youngest learn to chew real food.  Good luck.

DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 4:33 PM on Dec. 10, 2009