Are there any moms in here who are working and going to school?

I plan on going back to school next year for my bachelor's degree, but i will be starting over fresh because i have a new major. I'm feeling really anxious about this because i know things will be really different. I have my husband's support and my mother in law will be coming from overseas to live with us. My kids are 4 and 2. How do you all do it? How have your lives changed after going to school and working? Any advice on how to cope with the change is helpful. Thanks.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:55 PM on Dec. 10, 2009 in Money & Work

• I went to school full time and worked full time before I became a mom. I had no problems with it so I thought it would be easy to do again- Wrong! I had such a difficult time. I took a break from it and I will be starting again in January. I will start with part-time school and if I can handle it okay, then I might go full time. I, too, have to somewhat start over because I have changed my major. I will, however, be going through an online program at a state college. I think this will help a lot. What major are you going for and what school will you be at?

Anonymous

• I work M-Th 7a-5p and do online/evening classes at my local CC. It is HARD and I have to stay up late and get up early, but it is going to be worth it when I have a better job. Online classes are the best thing that ever happend, so hopefully you can get some online classes. I do homework on my lunches and after my DD goes to bed at night. My DD is 18 months and I basically do everything at home all by myself.
    Anonymous

• I am a single mom, work full time and am a 3/4 time student on the dean's list. you can do anything you put you mind to. I work m-f 8-5, I usually take 2-3 night classes, but if i can find a class at the college site just down the street from my office, my boss is great about letting me take a lunch class (as long as its not during our busy tax season) I usually study from 9-12 at night after my kids are in bed and also have thier dad or gradparents take them on a saturday morning if i have a test to study for.

I will not say that it is easy but I know i want this degree and the future it offers me in my career. Some days are worse then others (having to miss school plays to take tests, horrible professors that require ungodly study regements just to keep up) but in the end it will be worth it. Just make sure you have an awesome support group!
    roxyann76

Answer by roxyann76 at 1:33 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• I was a single mom, worked part time and went to school full time. I had a full time school schedule during the week, and I worked Fri nights, all day Sat, and Sunday mornings waiting tables. Because I wanted to set a good example for my kids, I worked and studied very hard and was able to maintain a 4.0 GPA. I would take my books to the playground and study while they played in the afternoons. It was difficult, but not impossible. I actually enjoyed the time I spent in school and having something to "stretch" my mind - it was very different after being a SAHM for 9 years!
    I ended up meeting my dh while I was in school and instead of working in my major we married and I had another baby (13 months) and am expecting my 5th child currently. But when, or if, I'm ever ready to go back to work I'll brush up my skills with an updated class or two and have my degree in hand!

Answer by missanc at 1:46 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• Im going for paralegal studies, its a school in N.J, on campus. I do hope that i get some classes online though. Thanks for the replies.
    Anonymous

• Im going online only..and ive had so much change in my life...I had to transfer schools so i could switch to my online only schedule. with work my son and being pregnant now, i really want to pull my hair out...if it wasnt for my financial aid i would drop to part time! Im doing what i can to suck it up and keep my head above water. I have to retake a couple classes this semester already. It really helps if you are organized and have a certain time of day you can devote to school, either early morning or late night!!! Best of luck to you!
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 2:51 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• I work 30 to 40 hours a week, and go to school 3 nights a week from 6-9:40. It is def not any easy thing to do with a 2 year old but it will be worth it in the end. I have explained to him that mommy has to go to school and get a good education to support our family. (daddy isn't in the picture) I know he doesn't understand fully but I believe that once he gets older he will appreciate what i have done for him as well as myself. Work, school, and my child def put a lot of stress on me but i just have to keep my head up and remember that it will all pay off in the end. It can only get better from here. =]
    BriTony08

Answer by BriTony08 at 3:02 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• Just a word of advice. Don't forget to allow adequate time for homework and studying. You will need an average of three hours a week for every class hour; so if you are taking 9 credits, you will need up to 27 hours a week. It is better to take a little longer and do really well.

Congratulations on your decision, and good luck!!!

Answer by rkoloms at 3:34 PM on Dec. 10, 2009